Finally! Crispy Turkey Legs

Started by Smokin Soon, September 22, 2008, 12:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

Gotta say - GREAT LOOKIN RESULTS!!!

Picked up a Big Easy myself on Amazon.com for <$100 (w/ free shipping) about 1 month ago.
It's not the big Costco (25lb) version but the original CharBoil (16lb) version.

Made a few chickens and then used the bones to make a stock.  EVERYONE loved that stock!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smokin Soon on September 29, 2008, 04:13:34 PM
Mr Walleye, It would be a proud addition to your smoking kingdom. I am really suprised that this beast does not smoke at all. I would not hesitate to us this in a well ventilated garage. And as another member stated, it would probably heat your garage too. Oh, silly me....with the hi-tech setup you have, I'm sure your garage is heated!

What can I say!... I walk into Canadian Tire this morning and of course I have go and "cruise" through the BBQ stuff... low and behold!... They have them on sale!... Wouldn't ya know it... One followed me home!... It's true!... I'm not lying!  :D  :D  :D  ;D  ;D

Anyway, I took 4 10" x 14" cooling racks and a pair of wire cutters and went to work. It now has five (counting the bottom) removable racks for doing wings. In the pictures you should be able to see how I bent the centre 2 parts of the rack to form sort of a clip so the racks can't slide out. I haven't tried it out yet but I will let you know how I make out with it.

Click to enlarge....

Mike

PS
This unit, Thermos Infrared Turkey Fryer - (HeatWave) does have a 18,000 BTU burner in it. I'd be interested to know what the diameter of the basket is in the Costco version and in the regular Big Easy. This one has a 10" diameter basket in it.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Well as luck would have it the wife had to go out of town to her niece's shower so I thought what the hell and fired 3 or 4 lbs of wings in this baby. Now, in the deep fryer I've always done wings from frozen and they turn out fantastic. Because it's only me eating I thought I would give it a whirl....

I started them out on the low setting for about 30 minutes. I did this mainly because they were frozen and I didn't want them crispy on the outside and raw on the inside. At about 30 minutes I cranked it up to high. Now that I have done a batch I think you could do them on high from the beginning and save the time because after 30 minutes I checked the IT and they were done but I wanted them more golden.

Just for the heck of it I stuck a temp prob into the unit (through the lid, so about 3 inches down from the top) and on low the temp was about 400 F. On high it was about 490 F.

Click on pictures to enlarge them...

Here's a picture of the wings loaded... Ya can even see the frost on them!

Here's a picture of them just as I removed them...

Here's a picture of them with a little lemon pepper...

Wow!... Beer and Wings... Life's good!... I didn't even come up for air!

Mike

Smokin Soon

Mr Walleye, I am very happy you like your new toy!! I was a little bit worried that some forum members would buy these and be disgruntled because it is not what they expected. I am luvin mine for anything I want to smoke first and then put the crisp on. Just did some chic leg quarters on the bottom, 2 monster baked spuds on the top......Yum! Hate to say this one had no smoke involved, but great.

La Quinta

Smokin Soon

If the unit you have has a high - low control, that means it is the newer one only available at Costco in the US. The standard unit sold here has a 9" basket and is a dark charcoal grey. The Thermous unit you have with the 10" basket is probably a lighter colored navy grey and will handle a larger bird. Fun stuff!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smokin Soon on October 04, 2008, 10:44:40 PM
If the unit you have has a high - low control, that means it is the newer one only available at Costco in the US. The standard unit sold here has a 9" basket and is a dark charcoal grey. The Thermous unit you have with the 10" basket is probably a lighter colored navy grey and will handle a larger bird. Fun stuff!

Smokin Soon

That's all correct except mine is black in color, I should have posted a picture of it I guess. I was so hung up on gettin it ready for wings I must of forgot.

Mike

Habanero Smoker

Mike;

I envy you. Mine has be sitting at a UPS location in Ontario, CA (USA) since last Monday. My delivery date is suppose to be on the 7th but I don't see how that can be.

After Smoking Soon's innovative idea of making a shelf, I am planning on doing what you did.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Habs - so sad  :(, nothing worse than waiting for a new toy especially with the pics these guys are posting. 

Mike & Smokin soon --NO! no more pics  ;D,  just kidding - I'm just jealous - I'm in deadline mode & lucky to get dinner on the table - the crockpot is my friend these days(blech).  No more pulled pork in the freezer - I took the last package of both Hab's canadian bacon & bacon out of the freezer today -- I did not plan well >:(

I hope Costco still has some on Oct 17th when I come up from under the mountain of paper on my desk.  Unforunately, they have them they are at the end of the aisle and have one on display and I read somewhere they are a limited edition. 

Habanero Smoker

Deb;

The way things look, you will get yours before me. :)

I was looking around Char-broil's forum. There is a section dedicated to the Big Easy. A member on that forum stated they were a limited edition. I'm sure if they sell well, they will continue to make them; especially now that Thermos is making a larger model.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Mr Walleye

Habs

The Thermos unit is made by Char-Broil. It was probably a way to sell them in Canada or something like that. I went to some of the web sites that was on the literature that came with it and some of the sites are Char-Broil's.

Mike

stillsmoking

That does it.  Talked me into it, buying two of these, one for me and one for my mother.  Dang, I love this forum!

La Quinta

I WANT ONE...Waaaaaaa...I WANT ONE... >:(

Smokin Soon

It does not really matter, but I am curious about the Canadian version rating the btu's when the Char-Broil site does not? And why would they change the name to Thermos?
Some kind of patent or trade thing?

Did some brined Cod today, smoked and breaded in spiced cornmeal, If you do this one be prepared for a 15 minute cook. I underestimated the Big Easy and jabbered on the phone too long
and had some cod jerky! Second batch was great, did not get any pics.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on October 05, 2008, 09:43:49 PM
It does not really matter, but I am curious about the Canadian version rating the btu's when the Char-Broil site does not? And why would they change the name to Thermos?
Some kind of patent or trade thing?

The last time I checked the Char-broil site, they did not mention anything about the larger unit.

Mine is still in California, but it states it's on schedule for delivery on the 7th. It doesn't seem likely.

I
         don't
                   inhale.