Finally! Crispy Turkey Legs

Started by Smokin Soon, September 22, 2008, 12:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofite

I bought one, on sale for 125.00 Canadian dollars, from Canadian Tire.

Here is what I did with it yesterday. I could not find any cooling racks to make basket racks so made a makeshift rack out of skewers.

Put together, set up and ready to go!

I made this makeshift rack from skewers.

Two birds with one cooker.

Almost done, cooked one hour less than my oven.

Cut up, served with twice fried fries, tossed salad, and chalet sauce.

Son, hungry after spending entire day painting baby's room.

Smokin Soon

Great pics Geo, did you notice the top chik got done quite a bit before the bottom one? Also does the Thermos model come with a discount code for the cover and the top basket?

Smokin Soon

Hab's when you get your Big Easy, please report the proper smoke times to transfer to the Big Easy. I have just pulled poultry out before the skin begins to brown, having no clue what would be best, but happy with the results. My last brined quarters had to go until I saw little black pimples before I pulled them, 200 degree at the thigh, much higher than usual. Could be the brine, not sure.

car54

I used the Big easy for the 1st time on Sunday. I did a whole chicken and it took over 4 hours to finish. I think that I may have a regulator problem not allowing enough gas to burn . The flame on the burner are only about 3/16 of an inch long. Can someone check the length of their flame.

Thanks, Brad

Smokin Soon

Car54 is yours the one with the high-low setting? If it is the standard model that's way too long of a cook time. I can do 2 birds in 1 hour and a half, top one finishing less than that. Do you feel heat right away after igniting? You should. You also have a sizzle sound of cooking after 20 min or so. We need to get you cooking! Let me know.

Mr Walleye

Brad

Most propane regulators including the one on the Big Easy has a excessive flow valve built into them. If for some reason it is tripped you will need to shut the appliance off, shut the tank off and disconnect the propane line from the tank. This should reset it. Over the years I have had this happen on propane heaters I use for ice fishing. I'm not sure if this is your problem but it's worth a shot.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Mine left the UPS location in Syracuse at 3:17 AM; if it gets to Hudson by 6 AM then I know it will go out for delivery today. But still its bad timing, I may not get to do any thing with if for a few days.

When I get it set up I report back on flame size, and cooking times.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Wow!!! Another new toy to look forward to. :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

Mine arrived today about 45 minutes ago. They shipped it in the original packaging so the cooking pot got jammed inside the inner body. That took awhile to get undone. No noticeable damage.

I haven't had time to put it together other then get the legs on. Documentation on the specs. is poor, but I finally found the BTU output on one of the legs of the unit. It is rated at 18,000 BTU's, and it has a high/low setting. It appears they are using the same basket as the smaller unit, because there seems to be a lot of space between the basket and the wall. I will take measurements later, but a quick measurement of the outer diameter is about 18.5".

I can't wait to try this unit out, but it looks like I won't be able to use it until Saturday.

Brad;
Do you have the original Big Easy, or the one that Costco sells. I'm hoping to be able to season it tomorrow and at that time I will check the flame height at both settings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

car54

Haps,
I have the Costco model. 

Brad

car54

Mr Walleye,

There is a chance that my regulator was over pressurized. I will probably do another chicken this weekend depending upon what Habs says about the flame size.

Thanks all for your help.

Brad

Smokin Soon

Car54, I checked the flame with the inner pot removed, and had about a quarter inch flame, but strangely enough the flame did not make the full circle, it sort of danced around. Could be that it was getting too much air, cause it does vent from the bottom. I am not sure if this is a good check or not. I say call tech support. Mine does not really look proper, but it works great! The guys at work that bought these are reporting 13 pound turkeys in an hour, so your cook times are really off. Like I have said before, I dont really know how these things work but they do work.

Habanero Smoker

Except for the legs mine looks exactly like the images Geofite posted. I'll post pictures later, but it seem there has been a design change. Two legs each are connected with a strip of metal that appears to be designed as a wind break. I'll post pictures later. I'm hoping to get mine seasoned today.

Geofite,

I'm glad you used string to tie you chickens. I was concerned with the high temperatures that the string would burn loose.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Still haven't seasoned mine yet. I have to refill my spare propane tank. Anyway here is a picture showing the rear legs, that appear to be a design change to act as a windbreaker.

Click to enlarge.
Rear Legs

I
         don't
                   inhale.

geofite

Quote from: Smokin Soon on October 06, 2008, 07:14:58 AM
Great pics Geo, did you notice the top chik got done quite a bit before the bottom one? Also does the Thermos model come with a discount code for the cover and the top basket?

Thanks.

Yes, the chicken on the bottom was a bit less done than the top one, just a bit. So I think I will need to cook them for 15 minutes longer the next time I cook them, about 1 hour, 45 minutes total time, or so.

No, I don't think it came with any discount codes. I have not noticed any? I sure would like to know where to get a top basket in Canada. Can't find any accessories around Canada at all for this new toy.