Pork loin...Pink in the middle or no?

Started by La Quinta, September 22, 2008, 09:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

I have been doing alot of loins lately and am interested in hearing the members weigh in on the color of a loin/tenderloin when cooked. I know years ago...one would smoke/cook a loin until it reaches a certain temp due to health concerns. But, more to the point, a color rather than a temp. Let's face it...other then poultry and pork...most people don't take temps of the meat for obvious reasons. 

But in 2008...where we really don't have issues (other then cross contamination and uncooked meat) with the same things we had to deal with years ago...
Just looking for feedback...I like a pork loin a leetle blush (not red) at it's core.

Thoughts...?

Gizmo

Depends on how it is being cooked but in general pork loin should be cooked to 160 deg if you go by the USDA standards.  I am comfortable a bit lower as pork seems to dry out fast.  Of course if you cured the loin, 140 is good.  I have not done a lot of loins for much experience so hopefully the loiners will lend an bit of advice.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I feel the USDA is overly conservative with there internal meat temperatures with 160°F for medium and 170°F for well done. Many modern cookbooks and chef recommend 140 - 145°F for medium, and 145 - 155°F for well done. I rarely take my pork over 145°F; that is with the carry over. If I'm using the smoker I will take them out around 140 - 142°F, if I'm cooking at a higher temperature I'll take them out around 137°F. At these internal temperatures there may be a slight pink color, some time you will not see any pink.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

La Quinta;

I don't know if you ever seen this, but this may help you decide what internal temperature to use.

Meat - When Is It Done? Part 2, from Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

I cook them so they are decidedly pink in the middle - not red but definitely pink and juicy.  I hate dried out meat (except jerky).  Then again, in this part of the world we eat raw pork sausage for breakfast such as Zwiebelmettwurst.   
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

deb415611

LQ,

I usually cook pork to  between 140-145.    I'm have no problem if it is a little pink.   

Deb

La Quinta

Kool...I agree with Habs...the USDA goes a little overboard on temp...but hell...that's kinda their job...but it does tend to put people off when they cook a loin so hot that it tastes aweful. I go to about 140 and pull it...it will go up 4 or 5 degrees while it rests. If you tent it may 6 or 7 degrees...

Thanks for you're feedback...but keep it coming...

Smokin Soon

I do quite a lot of loins, either injected or brined. I pull them at 145 and they are moist and tender. Only problem I have is when I Vac seal and give to friends that are old school and think pink pork kills! I just tell them that the combination of injecting and smoking will leave the pork slightly pink in the center. That usually kills the myth!

Consiglieri

I have a doctor friend that I spoke to about undercooked pork concerns.  He states that trichinosis risk is virtually nil is the US and that a little pink is not a problem. 
Consiglieri

La Quinta

Yes Consigs I understand that as well...just interested in if people's opinions have changed over the years...I am writing a book...When I look at my old meat thermometer the temps are sky high for how we cook meats today...fascinating...

Gizmo

I know what you mean there LQ.  As I mentioned above, 160 seems to be way to dry for pork but when you have it juicy and just a little pink, many will freak. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

Reminds me of the guy who wanted to FTC but knew his inlaws would freak if they thought the meat was "laying around" for hours.  So we helped devise deceptive FTC techniques.  That was a fun thread.  heh heh. 
Consiglieri

stillsmoking

I probably do more loins than anything else.  We use them in all kinds of stuff and like to just snack on the thinly sliced meat.  Pink is good!  I generally take mine out somewhere around 140-150 depending on what I have planned for it.  We let it sit for a while and then refrigerate.  Love seeing that pretty pink color when we slice it, not bloody just pink and moist.  Dry pork is not good pork, I do this for fun and flavor and dry pork just doesn't taste good. 

HCT

Yuppas, between 140-145 with that little blush in the center. mmmmmm pork. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"