My first Tasso

Started by Brad Stab, November 06, 2009, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Stab

Last night was improvisational red beans and rice. I had rice, I had no red beans, but I did have pigeon pea's. I didn't have any andouilli, but I did have hot Italian sausage (I know) and I did have my Tasso.

I cut the sausage into 1 inch pieces and browned them in some duck fat, added a couple diced onions and let them caramelize, dropped in a couple diced tomatoes, some crushed garlic and let the tomatoes melt. I then added my tasso cut into .5 inch dice and then the rice and a couple bay leaves. I added only a touch of salt and pepper. Then is went chicken stock, brought to a simmer, covered and baked at 325f for 25 minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes covered, fluffed with a fork and it was chow time. All rinsed down with a couple lagers. It was pretty good id I may say so  ;D
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

KyNola

Sounds good to me Brad! 

My wife Jan made a double batch of her red beans and rice recipe Saturday afternoon.  One of our good friends who had her recipe for the first time a couple of weeks ago whined and asked if he supplied the red beans would she make it again.  Of course she said SURE!  He showed up at our door Saturday with 12 cans of beans! :D

Brad, looks like you have the ground running with your Bradley.  Glad to have you with us.

KyNola

Brad Stab

Thanks KyNola,

I feel like a little boy with a new toy.

I bet between you and your wife their is always amazing food on the table.

Only 12 cans of beans?

KyNola

I don't know if I would call it amazing but we have fun making it together. 

Have you hot smoked any salmon yet using Kummok's method?  It's in the fish section of this forum at the very top.  OMG!

KyNola

Mystic Smoke

Looks great Brad. I want to give this a try. I would like to have some handy for my gumbo recipe.

One thing. My bag of Prague #1 states 2 Tablespoons ( or 6 teaspoons) for 25 lbs of meat. You state that you used 1 Tablespoon. Did you mean 1 teaspoon? Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Brad Stab

Quote from: Mystic Smoke on November 15, 2009, 08:48:10 AM
Looks great Brad. I want to give this a try. I would like to have some handy for my gumbo recipe.

One thing. My bag of Prague #1 states 2 Tablespoons ( or 6 teaspoons) for 25 lbs of meat. You state that you used 1 Tablespoon. Did you mean 1 teaspoon? Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Mystic Smoke, I know that sounds like a lot of cure, but it's a very short cure. Only 4 hours, so thats why the recipe calls for so much InstaCure.So it is in fact 1 Tbsp

Tenpoint5

Sounds like the substitutions worked very well. Sometimes we surprise ourselves when getting creative with things.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!