Smoking Whole Turkey

Started by don280, September 23, 2008, 08:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schneep

Last Saturday I smoked a boneless turkey breast roast, using a rub from this forum, it turned out outstandisng!!  so much so that the wife insists that I do a complete boneless turkey for Thanksgiving.  I'll use the same rub and gage my time by the weight, pull at an IT of 160*.  I also did some ABT's on Sunday and they were a big hit.

I just want to thank all of the people on this site for all the help they have given me, and the inspiration to do more.  This stuff is addictive. :o 
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

westexasmoker

Congrats on your success!  At least with this addiction ya don't have to go into rehab!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

Quote from: westexasmoker on October 21, 2008, 09:42:35 AM
Congrats on your success!  At least with this addiction ya don't have to go into rehab!  ;D

C

You obviously have not seen my expanding waist line!  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

Quote from: Wildcat on October 21, 2008, 11:10:33 AM
Quote from: westexasmoker on October 21, 2008, 09:42:35 AM

C

You obviously have not seen my expanding waist line!  ;D

I was wrong time for rehab.....well or maybe Jenny Craig!   :D  ;D  ::)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

beefmann

i know whats  wrong  with the bradleys... good food

Habanero Smoker

Hi Gordo;

I haven't seen you post in a while, and when you do you come out with a zinger ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

suck out all the  air out of the  turkey and use a  repculator to make  more  brine.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

West Coast Sausage Maker

Quote from: Gordo on October 21, 2008, 06:58:32 AM
Quote from: T B S on September 30, 2008, 07:37:12 PM

Out of curiosity, how do you get 100 lbs of turkey into 5 gallons of water?
In a large 60 Gal plastic drum

or a rubermaid plastic garbage can.
soylent green is people

jlsesler

I smoked my first whole turkey (about 12 lbs) this weekend as a practice run before thanksgiving.  It turned out horrible. Here is what I did.  I rubbed it with salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika, and thyme.  I smoked it at about 225 for 2 hours and cooked to an internal temp of 165 degrees.  I basted it with the juices inside the cavity every 1-2 hours.  The skin was rubbery and the meat was very dry.

Anyone see what I did wrong?  Would a brine cure my problems?  Am I supposed to put it directly on the rack, or should I put it in a pan?  Would rubbing oil on the skin make much of a difference?

Please help!  I want to do 1 more practice run before thanksgiving.  I am having people over, and I want to blow them away.

Jason.

FLBentRider

Brining the bird will make it juicier.

Was it a frozen bird, I use a fresh one when I can get one.

Was the 165 in the white or dark meat ?

I oil the skin and put a spice rub. bacon on the rack above is an option as well
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

jlsesler

I put the thermometer between the leg and the breast.  Is there a better place?

FLBentRider

Oops. I use 160F in the breast. my method is adapted from Alton Browns recipe:

Ingredients

* 1 gallon hot water
    * 1 pound kosher salt
    * 2 quarts vegetable broth
    * 1 pound honey
    * 1 (7-pound) bag of ice
    * 1 (15 to 20-pound) turkey, with giblets removed
    * Vegetable oil, for rubbing turkey

Directions

Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey. Add the ice and stir. Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid.. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours. ( I have done up to 24 hours)

Remove the turkey from the brine and dry thoroughly. Rub the bird thoroughly with the vegetable oil. criss-cross bacon strips over breast.

I use 2 or three hours of Cherry, Apple or Hickory.

Cook @ 225F until the bird reaches 160 degrees F, remove from smoker, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 1 hour. Carve and serve.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

jlsesler

I read somewhere that cooking the turkey with the breast side down will make it juicier.  Is this true?  Has anyone tried it?

FLBentRider

I have heard that somewhere, but I'm not sure I buy it.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

In addition to the information that FBL gave you:

If you get a Butterball turkey, or a turkey that already has been inject (which most are these days) you will not have to brine it. The recipes I've seen for cooking turkey breast down was for only during the beginning to help brown the breast, then it is turned breast side up..

I measure the temperature at the thigh. If I fully cook it in the smoker, I will take it out when the thigh reaches 160°F measured at the thigh. If I want to crisp up the skin, I will take it out as soon as I finish applying smoke, or wait until it hits 140°F and finish in at 350°F - 375°F, and take it out when the thigh reaches around 155°F -158°F; the carry over should bring it to 165°F while it is at rest. The earlier you take it out of the smoker the better the skin will crisp up.

What was your total cooking time? You will be better off not basting, each time you open the door you can pretty much plan on an additional 20 - 30 minutes of cooking time.

Leather or rubbery skin is a problem for the Bradley. You can reduce this by making sure your vent is 3/4 to fully opened. Or you can remove the bird and finish roasting in the oven or on the grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)