Smoking Whole Turkey

Started by don280, September 23, 2008, 08:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

Ohhhhhh, here I go again like a broken record! The best chicken and turkey I ever had was smoked and dumped into The Big Easy. No oil added, and plenty comes out into the drip tray. Ok I'm done for now.

beefmann

Calm down Smookin...

Thanksgiving will be here efor you  know it and will be making your  own turkey.....Who said that ...  looks around .. guess i  did

jslande01

I've been using this brine since 2000, I think it came from Alton Brown or Emeril originally, can't remember...

2 C Kosher Salt
1 C Sugar
1 Head Garlic - cut in half
4 T Thyme
5 Allspice berries crushed
2 Bay leaves
Water to cover

Stir it up so the salt an sugar dissolves then throw the whole thing in a bucket overnight, works great for smoking or just roasting in the oven... blows everybody away!

I've got a 22 pounder this year, not sure I want to get up at 2am, thinking about cutting it in half before smoking...  hmmm, more surface area, sounds like more smoke flavor...  ;D

jl

Rider

The turkey has been smoking now for 5 hours, smoke part done.  I am thinking of bringing it in to the house to finish in the oven.  It is still 10 hours from eating time.  It can rest for an hour? Questions I have are, Should I put the oven at 225° and Should a I put a pan of water in the oven?
Thanks for the help.

One of the reasons to bring it in, it is 26° outside and the temp on the digital says 219 inside, hasn't gotten up to 225 yet.  Is this a problem?
Smoke On

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Rider!

Mine has been in FTC for 2.5 hours now. 1 hour rest should not be a problem. If it is at the target temp, I would put it in the oven at as close to 160F as you can. I don't think the water will hurt it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rider

Wow!, the bird is at 160 now and dinner isn't for 6 hours!  I thought is would take longer.  I turned off the Bradley.  I am guessing I should just FTC till then? or try to keep it at 160 or so for another 5 hours then FTC?  I really thought it would take about 14 hours, only took 9.
Smoke On

FLBentRider

I know mine took less that I thought it would. It has been in FTC for going on 5 hours, I'm going to put in a roaster on low.

IMHO, FTC does not really help make poultry more tender, I am using it to keep it warm.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rider

That's what I thought.  I guess I will do the same, warm it up a bit before dinner time.  FTC till then.  I have one of those Coleman cooler/warmers but can't find the electrical cords for it dang it.  Just hope it doesn't  dry out.  Let me know how yours comes out please.
Thanks
Smoke On

FLBentRider

I just checked it, and after 5.5 hours of FTC, the IT is 140F!

I just put it in a 150F roaster (still in the foil) to keep it warm(er)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Chickenfarmers Wife

Oh what a beautiful thing!!! The ChickenFarmer did well this year...   ;D

Brined (orange juice, apple juice, water, salt), rubbed (Paula Deen house seasoning), oiled, and smoked.  4 hours of apple & mesquite.  16 hours total to reach 160-165.  At 225 degrees.

~Jana~

westexasmoker

Nice looking bird, better keep that Chickenfarmer around!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

On average when I smoke/cook turkeys fully in the smoker it takes an average of 8 hours. Sometimes longer sometimes less; that all depends on how quickly the smoker gets up to 225°F.

Chickenfarmers Wife;
That's a nice looking bird. What size was it?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Rider

Mine was really good.  There were two birds at the feast and most wanted the smoked over the traditional.  It had FTC'd for nearly six hours, was still at 140 degrees, but the breast meat was starting to dry.  The flavor was top notch though.  the dark meat was melt in your mouth. Next one will be timed to finish about eight hours like Hab says.  Next one is in a few days as we have not many leftovers and we love them.  We took our bird to a friends house so we have none of the usual leftovers.  I am guessing we will have a whole meal deal real soon.  Going bird shopping today.
Smoke On

dumoch126

Hi, I have read through many of your posts and need osme help. I am going to smoke a whole 12 lb turkey and am going to brine it ovrnite, then smoke using the Apple blocks. My question is, do I use the apple blocks for the entire time until the IT reaches 165, or do I shut the smoker part after 4 hours and leave it in with just the heat on until it reaches the 165?

also, does brining the turkey cut down on how long it needs to cook? If I do not brine, will I need more time to cook?

so, some suggestions, start to finish for a 12 pound turkey!

thank you, Stan

FLBentRider

I would apply no more than 4 hours of smoke.

At that point you can leave it in the smoker, or move it to the house oven at a higher temp to crisp the skin, if you are so inclined.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!