Smoking Whole Turkey

Started by don280, September 23, 2008, 08:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don280

I just bought my first OBS, having used charcoal for years. During that time I have never had a good brine or recipe. Would someone be kind enough to send me one or direct to to their favorite one. It is Thanksgiving in Canada soon and I would really like to impress everyone with my new toy.

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum don!

I too have yet to do a whole turkey, but just like you it'll be thanksgiving down here in the states before we know it and I'll be having to try my hand at one also!  I have done turkey legs and breast with great success.  Heres a link to the recipe site which has lots of great things from these brillant folks

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

I'm sure someone will be along soon, to give you better advice than I.  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum don280!

I have adapted this recipie - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/honey-brined-smoked-turkey-recipe/index.html

1 gallon hot water
1 pound kosher salt
2 quarts vegetable broth
1 pound honey
1 (7-pound) bag of ice
1 (15 to 20-pound) turkey, with giblets removed
Vegetable oil, for rubbing turkey

Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey. Add the ice and stir. Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid.. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours.

Remove the turkey from the brine and dry thoroughly. Rub the bird thoroughly with the vegetable oil.

I then put in the bradley for 4 hours of smoke @ 225F - continue until an IT of 160F

I have used Hickory and Cherry with great results.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

FLBent...I'm intrigued by your measurement of the honey at a "pound?" I have seen those whole "chunks" of honey but never seen them used in a recipe. Do tell?

FLBentRider

No real tricks here. 16oz is what I use. I never noticed if they were fluid or not.

::) ::)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 23, 2008, 05:05:05 PM
No real tricks here. 16oz is what I use. I never noticed if they were fluid or not.

::) ::)

I just looked at the package. 16 oz - 1lb. yes it is a liquid.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Ok...that's what I thought...just curious why you termed it a pound versus 2 cups...nothing else then that!

Habanero Smoker

When it comes to water or liquids that are mostly water based, one ounce measured equals one ounce weighed. Such as in the recipe; 7 pounds of ice equals 7 pints of water. Sometimes natures makes it easy for us. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

don280

Hey thank you all for the recipe and clarification. I will let you know how I do!!!

West Coast Sausage Maker

sooooo what does a 40 pounder of scotch really weigh?

We sell smoked turkeys in our store.

5 gal H2O
2 lb salt
2 lb brown sugar
1/5 lb Instacure #1

this recipe is for 100 lbs of turkey
soylent green is people

La Quinta

Hundred pounds of turkey...YUM!!!  :D

beefmann

never smoked a turkey,,, am planing to this year .... only thing is its  gonna be the done the beefmann way... with a flame thrower

last years turkey cook....

just  kidding gonna season it ..  let it stand in the fridge over  night and then into the smoker for a long slow cook im figuring 18 to 20 hours for a 15 to 20 lb turkey.

beefmann

stillsmoking

Interesting brine FL, can't wait to give this a try!  Whole turkey is always a hit around here and this sounds good.  I also like hickory and cherry but am likely to throw some apple in for turkey.

La Quinta

Still please mix our beloved hickory in...you will not be disappointed...

Gordo

Quote from: T B S on September 30, 2008, 07:37:12 PM
sooooo what does a 40 pounder of scotch really weigh?

We sell smoked turkeys in our store.

5 gal H2O
2 lb salt
2 lb brown sugar
1/5 lb Instacure #1

this recipe is for 100 lbs of turkey

Out of curiosity, how do you get 100 lbs of turkey into 5 gallons of water?
Gordo
Unskyled laber