Maple Bacon Pictorial

Started by Tenpoint5, September 26, 2008, 07:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

I'm in the San francisco Bay area, and we used to have many neighborhood meat markets, but most are gone. The few that remain are geared toward the rich folks and are very expensive. I like Publix alot, my Mom is in Naples Fla. Thats a pretty good chain of stores.

Tenpoint5

I would just go back and strike up a conversation with the meat guys and ask em what a belly would be or a half belly. They should be able to hook you up or tell you where you can find one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

10.5...dude...you rock with Habs!!! Sweet!!!  ;D

Tenpoint5

LQ,
I just like to go for the Throat and kill em with the DROOL Factor. I will always post pics with what I'm doing. We taste with our Eyes First!!

See I told ya it was gonna be cool when I posted it.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

Yup...you did not lie dude...I got Habs canadian getting happy in the fridge right now...belly bacon and chicken just got out of my little OBS...life is sweet!!!  ;D

deb415611

Very nice 10.5!

I used that recipe last time and it is great!

West Coast Sausage Maker

soylent green is people

Habanero Smoker

Did you slice the bacon by hand or use a slicer? If you used a slice, what brand and model do you have? If you did it by hand, that's a great job.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 30, 2008, 02:35:25 AM

Did you slice the bacon by hand or use a slicer? If you used a slice, what brand and model do you have? If you did it by hand, that's a great job.

I did it by hand.  Back and forth back and forth. NO I'm not talking about my sexlife!!! Back and forth on an El cheapo Rival foldup slicer. If I had a Cutco 14" slicing knife I might take a stab at it but I wanted to be as uniform as possible. So I used the little slicer. Which by the way feals like you need 3 hands to operate it.

Habanero Smoker

Still a good job slicing, I didn't think a small slicer could slice long sections of belly. I will have to give it a try next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

It was a pain in the butt to do I had to slice without the slide tray, So I could get the range of motion to cut the long strips off the belly. I did cut mine a bit more than normal "Thick slice" bacon. The backstop moved on me when I pressed against it. I now have a Sharpie line on the slider so I can tell if has moved.

On another note was talking about it at work and one of the guys said he had some Apple bacon from Farmland that was really good. Got me to thinking If I drop the maple syrup and the maple powder and substitute fresh Apple Cider and apple wood I could make the same thing. Maybe even inject the belly with some cider in a few different places. What do you think?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 30, 2008, 02:19:05 PM
On another note was talking about it at work and one of the guys said he had some Apple bacon from Farmland that was really good. Got me to thinking If I drop the maple syrup and the maple powder and substitute fresh Apple Cider and apple wood I could make the same thing. Maybe even inject the belly with some cider in a few different places. What do you think?

Sounds like a plan to me!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I have so got to try some bacon, so I just ask the meat guys at the grocery store?

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

WTS,
Tell them you want a pork belly. Not salt pork. Tell them you are making bacon.
Then they will ask why and you can give them the "Why Not, don't you ?" look....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

Hey!, I cannot slam those 29.95 Rival slicers, I have worked one for about 6 years now. It does great on my Buckboard Bacon, Canadian Bacon, Pork roasts and tenderloins! Never tried a Belly, but I see with some patience it can be done, just rig up something to support the longer pieces of meat. It's a great beginner's slicer if you do not have any!