Maple Bacon Pictorial

Started by Tenpoint5, September 26, 2008, 07:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

I am going to try this soon....looks awesome.

I have one question, when you start with a 5lb belly what is the finish product weight?  For example if you start with 5 lbs of meat for jerky you get 2-2.5 lbs finish weight.

thanks,

Gizmo

I have never weighed mine before and after but from an eyeball, I would say there is not a significant loss compared to meat if you don't include the weight of the skin when it is removed.  The weigh loss will occur after frying the bacon on the griddle as that is when the fat will render out.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Tenpoint5;

Instead of apple juice you may want to use frozen apple concentrate at full strength and adjust your sweetener to taste. You may not need to add a sweetener.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smokin Soon on September 30, 2008, 06:33:49 PM
Hey!, I cannot slam those 29.95 Rival slicers, I have worked one for about 6 years now. It does great on my Buckboard Bacon, Canadian Bacon, Pork roasts and tenderloins! Never tried a Belly, but I see with some patience it can be done, just rig up something to support the longer pieces of meat. It's a great beginner's slicer if you do not have any!

Smokin -  I'm not slamming it it does do whats it supposed to do. But I think mine was in the $10-15 range at Wally World.

Smokeitall -  I have no clue what the end weight was. Your gonna loose some just in the liquid the curing process pulls out but I don't think there was much if any in the smoking process. I was basically smoking it not cooking it. That will come in the fry pan.

Habs -  I never thought about the concentrate, just figured there is a apple orchard that sells fresh apple cider not juice down the road. I would give them a whirl. I buy a couple gallons every year anyhow. I make a pretty mean snow/cold chaser brew with it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Carter

10.5 - looks like I'm late to the party here, but that bacon looks awesome.  I can't wait to try that.

Great Pics too.

Carter

smokeitall

Quote from: Gizmo on September 30, 2008, 09:09:01 PM
I have never weighed mine before and after but from an eyeball, I would say there is not a significant loss compared to meat if you don't include the weight of the skin when it is removed.  The weigh loss will occur after frying the bacon on the griddle as that is when the fat will render out.

Thanks for the answers.  I always like to compare how much I can make it for versus store bought purchase.....

La Quinta

OK...I will finally ask this question...what the hell is a Wally World? Wal-Mart??? What?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: smokeitall on October 01, 2008, 07:44:27 PM
  I always like to compare how much I can make it for versus store bought purchase.....

Once you make your own YOU WILL NEVER buy store bought again!!!! IMHO The flavor that you get by DIY verses what you get in the store is so much more there is no comparison. Ok you might buy it to fry and crumble on a baked potato or something like that, but not for your Bacon Egg and Toast breakfast. 

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

Yes LQ Wally World = WalMart

FLBentRider

Quote from: La Quinta on October 01, 2008, 08:35:17 PM
OK...I will finally ask this question...what the hell is a Wally World? Wal-Mart??? What?

Wally-world
the W
walled-in
the mart
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopeful

This is some good bacon 8).  I sliced it a little thicker than the store bought stuff, the girl friend even liked it and she is not a bacon eater.  Thanks of sharing 10.5.

hopeful

Smokin Soon

I have only done belly bacon a few times and have been a little dissapointed in the yield. The place I found bellys cut into 5 lb each. I will do in batches of 3 from now on. It does not last long here. I would like to have enough to vac seal and freeze for backup.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Smokin Soon on November 23, 2008, 06:06:40 PM
I have only done belly bacon a few times and have been a little dissapointed in the yield. The place I found bellys cut into 5 lb each. I will do in batches of 3 from now on. It does not last long here. I would like to have enough to vac seal and freeze for backup.

Hee Hee.  I don't think it lasts long anywhere.  I do agree with you though.  Would be nice to do enough to store in the freezer.  Gonna have to think about it now that I've got both Bradley's up and running again.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on November 23, 2008, 06:24:52 PM
Quote from: Smokin Soon on November 23, 2008, 06:06:40 PM

Hee Hee.  I don't think it lasts long anywhere.  I do agree with you though.  Would be nice to do enough to store in the freezer.  Gonna have to think about it now that I've got both Bradley's up and running again.

What you mean I made Maple Bacon? Where is it at? Aint anything that even looks like Bacon around here. I feel your pain it doesnt last long around here either. I have 4 yardapes 9,8,7 and 5 a girl then three boys. They managed to polish off my bacon in two sittings and They managed to polish off ALL of my VCB in one sitting. Only suggestion I could make is slice thinner to get higher yeild or make more. I am in the make more category.

FLBentRider

Know what you mean there 10.5. I made 3x the recipe for pastrami hoping to have some to freeze.

4 kids (2 teenagers) ...

yeah right.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!