Maple Bacon Pictorial

Started by Tenpoint5, September 26, 2008, 07:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milehi

Quote from: smokeitall on September 30, 2008, 07:50:15 PM
I am going to try this soon....looks awesome.

I have one question, when you start with a 5lb belly what is the finish product weight?  For example if you start with 5 lbs of meat for jerky you get 2-2.5 lbs finish weight.

thanks,

I just finished some belly bacon & here are the weights I got.
Precured belly 8lbs 3oz.
Finished bacon 7lbs 7.6oz.

So no, you are not losing nearly the 40% - 50% in weight that you would with jerky or fish.

dproft

I changed my shirt twice reading this thread.  I think I've found my new home.  If I make all the stuff I'd like to, I think I may have to find Jenny Craig!  I JUST ate and I'm hungry again.  Guess I'll have to put bacon on my list of "to do's".

Brisket Lover

Great thread here, I want to make bacon and pulled pork over the next week and this is going to help.

monty

thanks for posting this Tenpoint5. your pictorials haven't steered me wrong yet so i gave this a shot!

question for anyone out there reading...

what IT should i smoke to in the following scenarios:

1) safe IT to cook to if i plan on pan frying this for breakfast afterwards
2) safe IT to cook to if i want something like "double smoked bacon" (ie a bacon that can be eaten without ANY further cooking, frying, etc).

thanks!

-monty
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

Habanero Smoker

There are generally two internal temperatures that are used to smoke belly bacon. If you want to bacon raw, the recommended temperature is 137°F - 139°F. For fully cooked smoked bacon it is generally 150°F - 152°F.

For double smoked bacon bring the internal temperature up to 150°F - 155°F. I've haven't made double smoked bacon, but have made triple smoked:
Triple Smoked Bacon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

monty

thanks Habs. much appreciated.
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB