Tomorrow is the day question for you guys??

Started by deadeye, December 18, 2004, 12:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye

Hey guys I  decided to make baby back ribs and pork chops tomorrow on my BS. I bought them from the local butcher shop and was just wanting some info. This is my 1st time to cook with the BS so I am needing some help. I have apple chips and pecan. I was thinking about smoking with the pecan for about 2 hours or so and was just wondering how long you think it might take.  From what I have read the ribs should take 4 to 5 hours at a temp of about 200 or 225,  nut I am not sure how long the chops will take ? I was thinking about putting the ribs on the bottom 2 racks and the chops on the top rack. ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys

Derek

owrstrich

deadeye... i was waiting for someone to give you the answers you are looking for because ribs are not as foregiving as butt or brisket...

and i remember how neurvious i was before my first rib smoke...

below is a link to the big rib thread...

i think the big things with ribs are...

wash and pat dry... remove the membrane... rub... put them on racks ... let them come to room temp on the counter... preheat to 225deg... put bacon on the racks above ribs... slide in racks of ribs under the racks of bacon... dont let the ribs touch the sides or the door of the bs... no more than 4hrs of smoke... vent open 1/3... dont open the door to spy on the pig...

low (200-210deg) and slow (what it takes to reach about 185internal is what it takes)... foil towel cooler... and NOW you are the man... good luck...

i dont know sh1t about smoking chops... here is the link to the big rib thread...

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=161&whichpage=1

more later...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

BigSmoker

Hey guys,
The rib procedure sounds good.  The time on the chops will depend on how thick they are.  I've never done them either but you'll need to take them to a minimum of 140°f.  Just don't overcook them or they will be toough and dry[:(]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

deadeye

My 1st rib experience and chop experience. Totally FREAKING AWESOME THE BEST I EVER HAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I was so proud of my ribs I even took a picture of them for you guys. You just need to tell me how to post the pic on here. I smoked the ribs and the chops for 2 hours using pecan wood. I cooked the ribs for about 4 hours and the chops a little less than that. I put the 2 slabs of ribs in the middle racks and then I put the 2 thick pork chops on the top rack with a lb of bacon like you guys taught me. AFter 2 hours I rotated the rib racks. The only problem I have was at the very end I put 2 links of sausage on the bottom rack and I forgot to poke holes in the sausage , ( my bad )the sausage shot juice everywhere. It went underneath the pan and everywhere. I clened it out the best I could but is there anything I can spray in there with out messing up my smoker or making the meat next time I cook taste like poison. Overall very happy with the smoker. Oh almost forgot but some deer backstrap on the top rack and cooked for about 2 hours that stuff was gone as fast as I could take it off the grill.

Thanks guys

Derek Canada

Oldman

To post a picture you have to have it upload somewhere on the net.  Then use the option at the top of your posting that looks like a mountain with an yellow sky. That will give you these codes [ img ] [ /img ]  Just place the address of your picture between these two codes. [ img ]xxxx.jpg[ /img ] No spaces---I added spaces so you could see these codes.

If you don't have a place to upload then send to me your pictures and I will upload them for you (my site) and send back to you the codes so all you would have to do it copy/ past them into your posting.

(raye@rminor. com) No spaces--or brackets.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

deadeye,
I'm glad the food turned out good.  About the exploding sausages.  Just use warm/hot water for cleaning.  Any thing else could leave a bad taste[:(].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.