Wrapping brisket in aluminum foil & putting back in smoker?

Started by litespeedaddict, October 05, 2008, 05:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

litespeedaddict

Just bought a new digital BS. Read a LOT of great stuff on here about smoking brisket's & have a question.

Most of you appear to pull the brisket out of the BS after your done smoking it, or close to it as best I can tell, & finish it up in the oven. What's wrong with putting it back in the smoker after wrapping it in tinfoil? Biggest reason I bought the BS is so the oven would be free for our large family gatherings, and other foods that go along with. Now I'm kinda bummed if this has to be done to achieve a good brisket. Anybody have any advice on how I can use the BS to cook the entire brisket, and does it have to be wrapped in foil to finish cooking it?

Gizmo

Many leave it unwrapped and finish in the BS.  Others will wrap in foil and finish in the BS.  For me, wrapping in foil after the smoke keeps the moisture in.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

Can't go wrong either way, the big key is LOW and SLOW!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

You can use the smoker to complete the cooking. Many just like the ease and convenance of using the home oven thats all. Once the smoke stops you really are using a small electric oven.

litespeedaddict

So, it is OK to wrap it in foil & put it back in the BS?

Directions say no foil in the BS, but I was gonna try it anyway.

"Low & slow" From what I gather, approx. 1 hr 15 minutes per pound at about 225 sound right?

Thanks for the help guys, getting very excited to use this badboy. I actually bought the brisket first, knowing it would force me to go by the smoker. It worked!

Wildcat

Although I cook/smoke at lower temps than you, I do my brisket start to finish in the Bradley without foil.  Never had a moisture problem.  I do make sure that I select a brisket that has adequate fat and marble. I also rub with olive oil before application of rub.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

itespeedaddict

1 hr 15 mins is about right per  lb... i have done a 15 lb top surloin roast with 3 hours of cold smoke hickory then cooked at 210..till a IT of 170 all in the bradley and no foil until it was compleatly  done.. the  cook time  was 18 + hours plus 3 hours of  smoke..  total time in smoker 21 hours. i would watch the internal temp more then the time if you  want a  tender and tasty  brisket.

hope this  helps

Habanero Smoker

litespeedaddict;

Welcome to the forum.

The referrence to not using aluminum foil in the manual means do not cover the "v" tray (drip pan); or the racks completely with foil. If either one is completely sealed with foil this can trap heat and damage your unit.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)