HELP!

Started by smokin zo, December 18, 2004, 09:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin zo

Guys & Gals:
I need your help. I picked up a 16lb standing rib roast today for Christmas. I want to do it in the BS. It was too long to fit in the smoker, so I had the butcher cut it in half. Now I have 2 8lb standing ribs. Need a step by step on this one as we're having 15 people over for Christmas. I gotta make it good and I know you guys have alreay done them. So please...HELP!!!

Enzo

BigSmoker

sz,
are the bones attached or not?  I always have my butcher remove the bones and tie them back on[;)].  This is just easier for me.  I am going to cold smoke mine then finish on the ceramic cooker(I've got lots of toys[:D]) but you can definitely use the Bradley if you wish.
My procedure is untie the ribs and sprinkle lots of kosher or sea salt, black pepper, garlic and herbs de provence all over the roast.  Tie bones back on and season them as well(they make a nice treat).  Now here is where you can either do the whole thing in the bradley or not.  Put roast in preheated to high Bradley smoker.  Place roast(s) on one of middle racks and cook until internal temp is 132°f.  Remove and sear(1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes) all sides in a  cast or heavy duty skillet.  Remove from heat and let rest loosely covered for 15-20 minutes.  Slice and serve with some type horseradish sauce[:p].  At an internal temp of 132°f it should rise and be rare to medium rare in center and medium rare to medium on the outside edges.  I have never slow cooked a rib roast.  

Another option is to cold smoke for 2-3 hrs(I will use Ice to keep the temp as low as possible).  Remove from smoker and cook on grill(I will be using my large Big Green Egg)bone side down at about 375° until the internal is 132°f.   Take the meat off and raise cooker temp to about 600°f and sear in a cast iron skillet for same as above.  HTH.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

smokin zo

Thanks Jeff, I definately keep that in mind about the searing step. I think that would make a big difference.
Still not sure of what type of wood to use. Anyone have any preferences? I  have apple, hickory, maple, and pecan to choose from. Also have mesquite but no one is supposed to know that.[:I]

Enzo

owrstrich

zo... i did one of those on sept 6th...

this is how it went down...

2@ 13lb bone-in rib roast... each had 7 ribs cut and tied...

200deg for 4.5hrs till 120deg internal...

foil and towels for 1hr and internal of 130deg...

cut a couple slabs for dinner...

after 3hrs in foil and towels the internal was still 130deg...

unwrapped... let cool... cut the ribs off to be finished off later...

cut 14 slabs and let cool some more and put 2@ in zip locks and froze for lunch next week...

used hickory the first 4hrs... then bubba pucks... then it was ready to come out...

very tender and juicy with good flavor... slight smoke flavor about 3/4" in... but no bark or smoke ring... middle rare and ends medium rare... micki digs the rare and i prefer medium rare so it worked out well...

next time i will take it to 130deg at 225...

more later...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

smokin zo

What was your approx total time in the smoker owrstrich? I also forgot to mention the fact that I'm working with boneless roasts

Enzo