Anybody ever made Ham Jerky?

Started by smokeitall, October 15, 2008, 07:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

Every time I go over to Cabelas (only 5 miles away  :) ) I buy a bag of Brown Sugar & Maple Ham Jerky.  Does anyone on here have a recipe or ever made this?  I think Jack Links sells something like this also.

beefmann

looked  through my  receipies none here

NePaSmoKer

Here is my ham jerky recipe.

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1 pnd lean ham slices, cut 1/4" thick. You can use store bought ham, it has the salt and nitrates in it already.
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoon crushed pink peppercorns.
2 teaspoons crushed green peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat water and honey in small pan. Use to wet ham slices. Add mustard, pink and green peppercorns. Marinade for 1 hour. For a longer marinade place wet ham slices in plastic container overnite in the fridge. Sprinkle the black pepper on the slices before smoking or dehydrating.  Remember most store bought ham is already smoked.

nepas

Buck36

I was searching around for a recipe for ham jerky and I kept getting trichinosis warnings. Is this not a factor by using cured, cooked ham?

Is the temperature a factor in dehydrating? I was wondering if the temp had to be kept higher for food safety. I get that the cure is supposed to prevent this so is this similar to doing a country ham?

Sorry for all the questions but I would like to try this jerky. With the holidays coming we normally have a surplus of ham but old wives tales about pork have me spooked.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Buck36 on October 16, 2008, 09:12:16 AM
I was searching around for a recipe for ham jerky and I kept getting trichinosis warnings. Is this not a factor by using cured, cooked ham?

Is the temperature a factor in dehydrating? I was wondering if the temp had to be kept higher for food safety. I get that the cure is supposed to prevent this so is this similar to doing a country ham?

Sorry for all the questions but I would like to try this jerky. With the holidays coming we normally have a surplus of ham but old wives tales about pork have me spooked.

If you dehydrate keep the temp at 160/170*

If smoking keep at 180 to 200*. Watch this so you dont over do it.

When temps drop 140* or below, thats when you get bad things going on.

nepas

smokeitall

Thanks Nepas....I am going to give this a try in a couple of weeks (working on Canadian Bacon & Jerky right now)  I will take some pics and share.

BTW...I made your Jerky recipe with a Teriyaki substitution and my wife and kids loved it.  Made 3 lbs finished weight, tried a couple pieces, went on a business trip and came back and it was all gone  :(      Darn, now I have to get the smoker out and make more  ;D

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 16, 2008, 08:37:12 AM
Here is my ham jerky recipe.

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1 pnd lean ham slices, cut 1/4" thick. You can use store bought ham, it has the salt and nitrates in it already.
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoon crushed pink peppercorns.
2 teaspoons crushed green peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat water and honey in small pan. Use to wet ham slices. Add mustard, pink and green peppercorns. Marinade for 1 hour. For a longer marinade place wet ham slices in plastic container overnite in the fridge. Sprinkle the black pepper on the slices before smoking or dehydrating.  Remember most store bought ham is already smoked.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: smokeitall on October 16, 2008, 09:37:19 AM
Thanks Nepas....I am going to give this a try in a couple of weeks (working on Canadian Bacon & Jerky right now)  I will take some pics and share.

BTW...I made your Jerky recipe with a Teriyaki substitution and my wife and kids loved it.  Made 3 lbs finished weight, tried a couple pieces, went on a business trip and came back and it was all gone  :(      Darn, now I have to get the smoker out and make more  ;D

Let me know how it comes out for you.

nepas

beefmann

iheartjerky

I have had the ham jerky from Cabelas...i believe its the Jeff Foxworthy stuff?  Its ok.  I tend to prefer U.S. made jerky products.  I think the quality is so much better.  That stuff from Cabelas is imported South American beef.  No thanks...but thats a personal preference.    ;D

If you like Ham Jerky, you really should check out Bacon Jerky!  http://www.jerky.com/product/BCF001.html  It may not be the healthiest stuff in the World...but man is it good!

NePaSmoKer

The best is of my own making  ;D

nepas

sherlock

I have never had nor even seen Ham jerky. It sounds sort of strange. Is it an acquired taste.

Gizmo

I have had the Ham jerky from Bass ProShops, not real good.  will be interesting to see if the NePa recipe finds a liking with others.  He has been spot on so far.  ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

sodak

Sherlock, ham jerky is delicious.  Not an acquired taste at all!

sherlock

Thanks Sodak

I will have to add that to my ever growing list of things to try.

Nathan