Newbie needs help working out the bugs

Started by sdsmoker, October 16, 2008, 06:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdsmoker

I bought a SS Bradley about 6 weeks ago and need some pointers.  I found this forum recently and it has been very helpful. I would appreciate some advice from the experts out there.
I smoked some ribs and a butt yesterday, smoking them with mesquite for 3 hours with a total cook time of 4 1/2 hours for the ribs and 6 hours for the butt. I wrapped them in foil the last 1 1/2 hours. Temp was at 200-215 F with the water bowl 3/4 full to start with and the vent about 1/2 open. Internal temp of butt was 180 F when removed and both ribs and butt were very tender. But The ribs must have had a good coating of creosote since it numbed my tongue for a number of hours later. I cut the dark exterior off of the butt and it was better but still left an undisireable aftertaste for a number of hours afterwards. Next time I am going to smoke only for 60 - 90 minutes and have the vent fully open.  Any other suggestions?

Also where can I get the bubba pucks that I have seen mentioned in some of the posts? The local Bradley Dealer didn't know what I was talking about but thought the idea was a good one.

Thanks!!

sdsmoker

Tenpoint5

Well for starters you was using WTS' Messy Wood, That would numb anyones tongue. Should have used Hickory!!!

LOL no really I think your problem might have been just that the vent wasn't open far enough. A lot of people (Not Saying you cause I did it once myself) just starting out think, "If I close the vent just a little bit more, I'll get more of the smoke flavor." But as you found out all you get is a creosote taste. I would do the same cook again but open your vent 3/4 to full this time. You want the smoke to gently kiss the meat on its way by. Kinda like a prom dance you gently kiss the girl and smell the perfume the rest of the night.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

I would echo what 10.5 said:

1. Try a lighter smoke flavor, say apple.

2. Keep the vent more open that you think you need.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

sdsmoker

I have been using Hickory and had the same problem. This is the first time I have tried Mesquite. I'll try leaving the vent fully open and smoke for a shorter period of time.

NePaSmoKer

Welcome sdsmoker.

You bought an outstanding smoker.

Here is the way i smoke just about everything.

Wood pucks i use 3 to 6 ONLY. After the pucks quit smokin its just heat. Vent like FLB said 3/4 to full open for me. Make sure your V-tray drip pan is not upside down. Always with water in the pan unless your making jerky, which the pan is there but no liquid.

Mesquite is good, I use it too but i only use 2 pucks followed by oak or hickory. Bubba pucks can be bought from Bryan at Yard & Pool. Just click the Y&P Logo at the bottom of my post.

Remember fewer pucks and you wont get the BITE harsh taste.

Hope this helps some

nepas

Tenpoint5

Quote from: sdsmoker on October 16, 2008, 06:55:19 PM
I have been using Hickory and had the same problem. This is the first time I have tried Mesquite. I'll try leaving the vent fully open and smoke for a shorter period of time.

SDS It doesn't really matter what your using for smoke. I just like to give WTS a hard time about mesquite. I think your problem just revolves around the vent being closed too far during the smoke. Mine is almost always open 3/4 to full. Thats just my personal preference.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sdsmoker

Thanks guys. Greatly appreciate the good tips.  Thanks for the info on the bubba pucks nepas.

sd smoker.

Habanero Smoker

sdsmoker;
Welcome to the forum.

Mesquite has the strongest flavor of all the bisquettes. For ribs I don't apply any more the 1:40 hours of smoke, any longer then that is too strong for me. I usually set the vent 1/4 to 1/2 open.

For butts I use 4 hours of smoke, again with the vent 1/4 - 1/2 open, using either pecan, apple, hickory or a mixture of 2 or 3 of the flavors. With smoke only being able to penetrate meat about 1/8 inch, I'm note sure why you would get a strong creosote taste after the bark (dark exterior) had been removed. The lower temperature the Bradley uses to get the bisquettes to smoke, reduces the amount of creosote produced; which make it a "cleaner" smoke to season your food with.

What were you using for a rub?

PS
One other thing. If you are not using bubba pucks, that last puck sitting on the burning for a lengthy amount of time will contribute to the bitter taste of your food.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum sdsmoker!

I think they have ya covered!  I use mesquite for everything (they say I'm warped  ;D), but I also run my vent full open for everything and no more than 2 hours smoke.....brisket can take a bit more.  Not sure about the creosote taste coming out of the BS, try opening that vent up a bit more.

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

beefmann

Sdsmoker

first of  all .. welcome to the forum

most everyone  sent you  in the  right driection. you may  want to try a different wood.. loke .. oak , maple, alder...or special blend.. and maybe a  little less on time..