Smoking a Turducken

Started by bubba_39211, December 10, 2008, 06:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubba_39211

I'm planning on smoking a turducken for Christmas this year.  I've been smoking various things on and off for years, but never a turducken.  For those that may not know, it's a boneless turkey stuffed with a boneless duck, stuffed with a boneless chicken full of stuffing.....at least that what it's supposed to be.

I have a BOS due for delivery next Tuesday and plan to season it that day and/or the next.

I was planning on smoking it just like a regular turkey.  Does anyone have any other suggestions or experience with a turducken?

Thanks,

Bubba

Smokey 25

I've done a few in the oven before with good results.

I suggest stuffing the chicken with a andouille sausage and sliced onions.  You can add some other eddible arromatics if you want.

The stuffing never seemed to turn out right for me in the oven.

Be prepared for some extended cooking times over what you would normally cook a turkey.  I suggest putting a temp prob in all three birds.  If it were me I would probably brine the chicken and turkey in a brown sugar and salt brine.  The duck is pretty fatty so I have never brined one.

Another method would be to debone and butterfly all three birds then smoke them separate.  When they are all done you can stuff the chicken and roll all three together.

bubba_39211

Smokey,

My turducken is in a box, ready to cook, all the birds stuff either with another bird or stuffing.  They are all deboned except for the wings.

I agree with the temp probe and plan to use one. I expect a longer cook time than just a plain turkey but not sure how much....I guess the temp probe will be my guide.

When I thaw and unwrap it, I'll see what would be involved in disassembling it.  I've never seen one uncooked before.

Your stuffing is a great idea that I'll probably have to try on a different bird.

Thanks,

Bubba

Smokey 25

I would plan on at least three times the smoking time as compaired to a turkey.

if you have an extra probe I would insert it into the stuffing as there are some concerns with it getting to a safe temperature with raw poultry.

Good luck and happy smoking!

Father Tom

I am puttiing one togethere this weekend.  Shrimp Dressing in chicken.  Andouille Sausage Dressing in Duck and Cornbread Dressing in Turkey.  Cajun seasoning on all.  Plan on 2 hour smok then in Oven at 325 for 8 to 9 hours until meat thermometer in center (Duck) reads 165.

Tom

car54

I am not an expert on this but I would be very conerned about bacteria if the whole process was done in the Bradley. I would favor Father Tom's idea of just smoking it in the Bradley and finishing it in an oven.

Just my opinion.

Brad

bubba_39211

I agree.  Probably what I will do.

Thanks all for the advice.