Tur-Duc-hen

Started by FLBentRider, October 20, 2008, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Anyone ever make / smoke one ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Never made it FL but eatin them many times...they are awesome...meat to be made by those guys in LA who invented them...but...I'm not an expert on de-boning birds...if you are...SWEET...I'll order from you!!!  ;D Think if you smoked it...only the turkey would get the smoke...additionally...I think smoking all three birds would be overkill?

beefmann

hummmm.. thinks .... I  think i  heard something  like that on modern marvels back in the  day  a king asked  to cook a  chicken stuffed in a duck ...stuffed  in a turkey.. stuffed in a  pug..  stuffed in a  cow.. then cooked... cant say  how  it  would turn out

Habanero Smoker

Never had it, and thought that USDA did not permit the sale of uncooked Tur-Duc-Hen, but back in July when I was looking for information on this year's Hudson Valley"s Ribfest I came across an article of someone who order an uncooked one, and had smoked it at the ribfest back in '07. If I can find the article I'll post you a link.

I found the link, I had bookmarked it:
http://whitetrashbbq.blogspot.com/2007/08/ya-gotta-have-friends-tur-duc-hen.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

Wow great article...looks very interesting.

FLBentRider

Thanks for the link Habs!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

great artical... looks like beefmann hit the nail on the  head... well almost .. minus the pig and  cow

chalk up one for  da beefman

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 20, 2008, 07:16:16 PM
Anyone ever make / smoke one ?

FLB

I did a tur-chicken.

Shot a wild turkey and put a large roaster hen into it. Came out pretty good. Have to find the disk i have the pics on.

Didnt have a duck at the time.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

FLB;

Good luck with you surgery.

If you make the Tur-Duc-Hen let us know how it turns out, and if you were able to purchase an uncooked one or had to go through the deboning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Thank you.

The sugery went well. Now the recovery...

I think i am going to order one from cajungrocer.com

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTJ

FLB
Where are you in FL, I have read it before but forget.  I live in Orlando, My sister lives in Sarasota and one of her favorite restaurants sells tur duc hen.  It is a restuarant/butcher shop and they sell them whole raw or cooked as a dinner portion, it was actually featured on Food Networks Diners, Drive ins and Dives for the tur duc hen.  I believe the name of the place is Alpine Steakhouse, I will have to double check that.  they are not cheap, I want to say a whole one is about $150

Daryl

DTJ

FLB
I just looked at the prices on the web site you were thinking of ordering from. my price could be wrong I am trying to recall from memory which my memory is not very good!!!

Daryl

FLBentRider

I am in the west palm beach area.

The cajungrocer.com is $87.55 wih freight, cabelas is over $100 without shipping.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTJ

FLBentRider

Thanks for trying anyway. We often "go local" and pay more to support a business in our community.

We are in Orlando often, with Disney seasonal passes and 4 kids.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!