Tur-Duc-hen

Started by FLBentRider, October 20, 2008, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlewheel

Wal-Mart carries them that are made by Tony Chachere.

DTJ

FLB
Sorry just getting back to this post, I have probably seen you there!!  I have two young boys and we too have annual passes.  We are there on average every other weekend.  We live about 20 minutes away so if they get tires we just head home.  We figure people tracel from all over the world to go there we might as we take advantage of what is in our back yard.

Daryl

Habanero Smoker

FBL;
Thanks for starting this thread.

I couldn't find them in my local Super Wal-Mart or Sam's. Saturday I was in Price Chopper, and they had a display for ordering Tur-Duc-Hen by Tony Chachere for $60.00. I forgot if it was 12 or 15 lbs. Mine should be in on the 22nd.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jayfrost

First Post in the forum, so bear with me please.  I just got my smoker last week and have only cured it so far.  Next week the fun begins.  I bought a Tur Duc Hen from the Cajun Grocer, and I also bought the boneless smaller version for a test run before thankgiving.  http://www.cajungrocer.com/tony-chachere-stuffed-chicken-with-pork-2-p-1277.html

I have a couple of questions.  On the small (3 lbs) version, I plan to smoke for about 1:30 - 2:00 hours with hickory, then finish till the internal temp reaches 160-165.  I am not sure of the temp of the oven or if that is too much smoke.  Next I wonder what tips anyone would have for doing the full bird. 

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Jay

Habanero Smoker

I can't really provide that much help; since this will be the first time I will be smoking one.

You may want to check out this link:
http://whitetrashbbq.blogspot.com/2007/08/ya-gotta-have-friends-tur-duc-hen.html

I'm planning on cold smoking, for about the length of time you are thinking about, then finish in an oven. Since I have concerns that my smoker may not reach a cabinet temperature of more then 250°F, and that it will probably take some time to get to that temperature, I feel more comfortable finishing in the oven. My  concern is that the tur-duc-hen I purchase has a bread stuffing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

sherlock

Sounds good except for the dressing. I wonder if somebody has them available without stuffing.

Habanero Smoker

I was able to go back and change my order. I order one with shrimp and crab stuffing, they also had a pork sausage stuffing. Mine should be in on the 22nd, but now it looks like it will have to go into the freezer and used for New Years.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

Habs...that sounds killer...would love to hear how you like it...interesting flavors getting married...keep us posted...whenever you decide to make it...  :)

Habanero Smoker

LQ;

I sure will. I'm picking it up tomorrow. I was going to make it for Thanksgiving, but both my plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas has changed, so I can't go with what I originally planned.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

Habs...the only ones I have ever eatin' were shipped fresh...are you concerned about freezing? As I would assume you are going to? Just a question...what do I know????  :) Just a little concerned about the fluid content in the meat as well as the stuffing?

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: La Quinta on November 21, 2008, 08:03:45 PM
Habs...the only ones I have ever eatin' were shipped fresh...are you concerned about freezing? As I would assume you are going to? Just a question...what do I know????  :) Just a little concerned about the fluid content in the meat as well as the stuffing?

It a good question and one that I had asked. As FL pointed out the ones that are shipped are frozen. I spoke with the person behind the counter, she said they come cryovac and can be frozen up to 3 months. But if they are cryovac, the freezer storage should be a lot longer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

beefmann

Habanero Smoker

I was in a hurry today, and running behind schedule. I didn't realize that they gave me the wrong style of Tur-Duc-Hen. When I got home I learned I got the pork and cornbread dressing. It's clearly labeled on the box, I don't know how I missed it; or how they messed up.

It not worth the extra trip to travel 25 miles to return it. This style also sounds good, so I'm looking forward until I can cook it; 15 lbs for $60.00

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 22, 2008, 01:53:09 PM
I was in a hurry today, and running behind schedule. I didn't realize that they gave me the wrong style of Tur-Duc-Hen. When I got home I learned I got the pork and cornbread dressing. It's clearly labeled on the box, I don't know how I missed it; or how they messed up.

It not worth the extra trip to travel 25 miles to return it. This style also sounds good, so I'm looking forward until I can cook it; 15 lbs for $60.00

Habs,
I would still call and fitch a bitch. They might give some sort of refund or other non-monetary compensation, for screwing up your order. Since there isn't enough time to order another one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!