Cold Smoked Turkey for deep frying

Started by pullinpork, October 21, 2008, 03:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullinpork

Has anyone ever cold smoked a turkey and then deep fried it? I am looking at trying this for Thanksgiving Thanks for your inputs

beefmann

I personally havent  smoked a  whole turkey... though i  have smoked turkey breasts and came out  quite well... also have heared that  deep frying a turkey  is  good as we.. not  sure of how a smoked deep fried turkey will be...

might have a concern  with the smoke flavor in the  oil as well with used  for other fried  items

Tenpoint5

Quote from: beefmann on October 21, 2008, 04:12:49 PM
I personally havent  smoked a  whole turkey... though i  have smoked turkey breasts and came out  quite well... also have heared that  deep frying a turkey  is  good as we.. not  sure of how a smoked deep fried turkey will be...

might have a concern  with the smoke flavor in the  oil as well with used  for other fried  items
I haven't tried it yet myself, would think with fresh oil it shouldn't be a problem.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I don't have the time right now, but if you do a search several members have either cold smoked, or hot smoked a turkey and then put it in the deep fryer after the smoke has been applied.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Cyndallhill

Did you try doing this last year?? I'm considering doing it this year and would love to know how yours turned out!!!!

Ka Honu

I've done both ways but with a Big Easy instead of a traditional oil fryer.  Hot-smoking (5 bisquettes) and then into the "fryer" to the desired IT (165o in the breast) seemed to work better than cold (6-8 bisquettes) but both were good.

Rickster

Contemplating Purchasing A Big Easy, Is It Really Worth It. If So I Need To Know The In's & Out's Of Smoking & Frying A Turkey. Have Tried Smoking & Deep Frying A Turkey Before & Not To Happy With The Results. Thanksgiving Is Around The Corner & Want To Give It A Whirl If It Is Worth It.
Rickster  oooh It's So Good, I Gaurantee

KyNola

Rickster,
Go the the "Non-Bradley Equipment" section of this forum.  There you will find a lot of info on The Big Easy.  Seems like everyone who has one is impressed with it.

KyNola

Welcome aboard.

Ka Honu

You might also want to check out the Sizzle on the Grill forum here for some perspective and ideas.

canadiansmoker

I have cold smoked turkeys and then deep-fried them several times. They have always come out fantastic, no greasy taste at all. Everyone fights over the skin though. I typically brine them first, then cold smoke, then freeze them until we are ready to cook them up.

oarfish

That is really interesting. How do you brine a whole turkey? Have to inject or just soak it? Is the brine just salt sugar and water?  (I use 1cup of pickling salt and one cup of sugar in a gallon water for steelhead trout brine,but what about penetrating the huge turkey....? Please share the info on the turkey if you have a minute, Thanks.

canadiansmoker

Oarfish, we have been soaking the whole turkey in a brine which includes one of the Bradley cures. I don't have a list of all the ingredients on hand, but I can get it for you. I know that it includes the cure, brown sugar, teriyaki sauce, bay leaves, and a few other items. We typically brine for a long period of time (several days to a week), then cold smoke it for several hours, then freeze it for later use.

This turkey comes out fantastic, with the skin being the best part. Due to the cure, the dark meat does taste more like ham than turkey (which is typical for brining dark poultry meat with a cure). As far as deep frying time, we typically use 3 minutes per pound, and add 5 minutes at the end. It seems to come out just right every time. Not much left overs.

FLBentRider

I use a cooler to brine Turkey.

I brine overnight, usually about 12 hours.

I don't use cure in my brines for poultry.

My understanding of what we are trying to accomplish is to add moisture and flavor via osmosis.

Since the flavored salt water has a higher concentration of salt that the meat, the salt moves into the meat and carries the flavor and water with it.

It does not taste overly salty, in fact, other that the juiceyness(sp) and flavor no one has mentioned "salty" to me. just "GOOD"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

oarfish - There are tons of brine recipes here on the forum and all over the internet but the basics are...

- I generally brine a whole turkey (approx 14-15 pounds) in a large stockpot.  Put the bird in the stockpot or other nonreactive container and add enough water to cover (may have to use a dish or some weight to keep the turkey on the bottom).  Remove the turkey and you'll see how much brine you'll need to make.

- Use about 1/2 cup salt plus whatever else you want (sugar, syrup, spices, herbs, booze, etc., etc., etc.) per gallon of water.    Depending on the recipe or how much salt and other ingredients you use, you may have to heat the brine to dissolve everything.  

- Then cool it down (add ice cubes or refrigerate) and put the turkey in for several hours (refrigerated) - can go overnight.

- Remove from brine, rinse well (some soak in clear water for an hour), towel dry and add your rub or whatever.

There are countless variations, but that's the basic drill.  Well worth the additional effort for any poultry and many other meats.

whitetailfan

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 22, 2008, 02:42:56 AM
I don't have the time right now, but if you do a search several members have either cold smoked, or hot smoked a turkey and then put it in the deep fryer after the smoke has been applied.
Ok...HELP.
I have been searching for 20 minutes, and I cannot find my thread about the cold smoked deep fried turkey I did.
I need to know how long I smoked for 3 or 4 hours...
I am cooking tomorrow morning, so I will come back here first thing in the morning.
If anyone could link it for me it would be a lifesaver!!!!!!!
Thanks in advance.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.