Cold Smoking add-on unit from Bradley

Started by Tiny Tim, October 24, 2008, 03:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

I spoke with a representative from the Company today, and she told me that it is in production, and will hopefully be available by Christmas.  I didn't ask for specifics (like if it cools the air mechanically or if it's just an offset box like many have built, or have a fan to push the smoke into the regular cabinet, etc.), but I did ask for a ballpark price, and she said it will probably be in the neighborhood of $100 (just a guess on her part too).

If I find out any more information, I'll be happy to pass it along.

beefmann

sounds interesting, will have to look into it when it becomes available....

then might have to reconfig my  smoker to accominidate the cold smoker part.. as for a fan on it... makes  me  wonder if ther  would be to much air  volume through both units to do any  good?? and or use more bisquitts... hummmmm

Habanero Smoker

TT;

Thanks for the information. I'm curious as to what the final product will look like, it's features, and price.

If it is a $100.00, it better have some bells and whistles for me to give up my cardboard box. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteIf it is a $100.00, it better have some bells and whistles for me to give up my cardboard box.

My understanding was that it is just an offset box to replace the cardboard box but for $100 (no doubt £100 here in the UK!) I would have expected more.

As Habs says, it will be interesting to see the final release price and specs?  :)

Manxman

3rensho

It'd take a lot for me to give up my cardboard box and dryer hose combo.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Wildcat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 25, 2008, 02:33:04 AM
TT;

Thanks for the information. I'm curious as to what the final product will look like, it's features, and price.

If it is a $100.00, it better have some bells and whistles for me to give up my cardboard box. :)

Same here....
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

I'll let ya'll know if and when I find out any more information on it.

LilSmoker

I hope it makes it accross the pond, we still haven't seen our version of the propane BS yet!

It was supposed to be released back in the summer

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

manxman

QuoteI hope it makes it accross the pond,

John Watkins at Grakka told me about 18 months ago that the cold smoke unit would be available in the UK. It seems to be running a few months behind schedule but hopefully their plans are still the same and it will be released over here.  :)
Manxman

blueneck

There is no way that for $100 it can be anything but a remote box. The issue with smoke moving through the contraption is easily solved by placing the smoke cabinet slightly higher than the firebox. I have used a metal box made from aluminum heat ducting sheets into which the firebox is inserted and then connected it with expandable dryer hose to the smoke cabinet. It works like a charm. But contrary to other contributers I would all give it up in a flash if there were a more elegant way to connect the pieces.  :)

pensrock

Here is my set up. I'm actually thinking of putting a 'T' in and a couple dampers, then I can run it to either smoker or both. My PID for the Bradley is on the cabient next to the table. The cold smoke box is under the table. On the table are the Bradley and the modified cold smoker made from an old fridge,

beefmann

looks sharp... if i were to put a damper in.. I would consider a T and a damper to each smoker so that i could use different flavored wood and have the availability restrict any cold air entering the cook box

Habanero Smoker

Pens;

Nice setup. Are you willing to sell your unit for $100. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

QuotePens;

Nice setup. Are you willing to sell your unit for $100.

Thanks, I have been wanting to make this for a while now and finally finished it.

I probably have about $50.00 tied up in the cold smoke box. That includes the metal for the box, stainless door, hindge, hardware paint and ducting. But I also have about ten to twelve man hours in it.
  It looks good and works great but to make it by hand it would cost more than $100.00 to sell. If you had an automated machine stamping them out and spot welding instead of wire welding the whole thing, I'm sure you could do it much faster and cheaper. This is 16 ga. steel with an 1/8" SS door and hindge.