Cold Smoking add-on unit from Bradley

Started by Tiny Tim, October 24, 2008, 03:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

Did anyone get one of these yet? The Yard & Pool guys were a little bit shy I guess, but they have them in stock. Mine is on the way.

Smoking Duck

Does anyone know if Bradley will be selling the longer cord for the DBS by itself?  I've been contemplating turning the DBS into a dedicated cold smoke unit and would build my own cold smoke box as I can't afford the price tag of theirs at the moment.  It would be nice if they sold the longer cord by itself though.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

KyNola

SS,
I bought one from Tim although I have not had the opportunity to try it out as of yet.  It is very well made.  I am looking forward to running some salmon through it soon.

SD,
The cold smoke set-up comes with a "plug" type thing that you plug into the smoke generator , disconnecting the sensor cord that normally runs from the generator to the tower.  They say it works, sure hope so.

KyNola

Gizmo

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 31, 2008, 05:55:05 AM
Does anyone know if Bradley will be selling the longer cord for the DBS by itself?  I've been contemplating turning the DBS into a dedicated cold smoke unit and would build my own cold smoke box as I can't afford the price tag of theirs at the moment.  It would be nice if they sold the longer cord by itself though.

SD

SD,
Go to Radio Shack and pick up a longer cord and the plugs for under $25.00

Radio Shack 273-1740 Power Cord .
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049698

with two 273-1716 Radio Shack Adaptaplugs, Type M
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062435

I leave the long one connected all the time.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Thanks Giz!  I'm definitely going to make the DBS a dedicated cold smoking unit.

SD

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 31, 2008, 05:55:05 AM

SD
Hello
Bradley will not be offering a longer sensor cable for the DBS at this time.
Another trick you can do is to take your existing sensor cable and cut it in half then add whatever length of wire you need.
I would suggest you solder the new wire to each end for a better connection.

The original sensor cable has 2 conductors in it.

Hope this helps.

Smoking Duck

Thanks Brian.  I'm probably going to have to go the Radio Shack way.  I could probably find a way to solder the wires together in such a way that it would cause an electrical meltdown from here to the eastern seaboard......I'm not sure I could take that many people mad at me at one time  ;D

SD

pensrock

SD,
  I would do it Brians way. I looked at the radio shack prices when I built my cold smoke box and they are quite pricy for what is needed. I ended up findind a place on the net where I could buy just the ends and made my own for a couple bucks. But I do not remember whick jack is needed right now so I cannot point you in that direction. I'll look to see if I can find the information.
pens

Smoking Duck

Pens,

Remember that when it comes to electrical things, I'm like Edward Scissorhands......however, if you think I can do it, maybe I should have some faith in myself.  Actually, I think I have a friend who knows how to do stuff like that.  Pointing me in the right direction would be essential.

Thanks, Pens!

pensrock

I'll try to find the parts needed, I do know where I bought them.

But doing it Brians way is probably the easiest. All you mreally need is a soldering iron and tape. Now if I were doing it I would heat shrink all the connections after soldering.  :)

Let me do some searching.

pensrock

SD or any others that need to extend the sensor cable on the BDS.

I bought the following plugs and put my own wire on them.
The parts are $1.25 each you will need two, plus a piece of two wire cable however long you need.

(2) DC power connector. 2.1 mm x 5.5 mm x 9.5 mm plug
I bought online from www.parts-express.com
Part #090-477
Had them ship it US Postal First-Class Mail, to save on shipping costs.

They have this wire item #100-280 for .45/foot. I did not buy any myself because I had plenty of two wire cable at home.
But this should work just fine for this application.

This option is much cheaper than buying pre-made cables at Radio Shack.

Pens

Smoking Duck

Thanks for taking the time to look that up, Pens!

SD

nickld

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 30, 2008, 08:41:31 PM
Did anyone get one of these yet? The Yard & Pool guys were a little bit shy I guess, but they have them in stock. Mine is on the way.

I just ordered one today! (Thanks Yard and Pool!) I'm flying back home to the SF bay area Monday and the first thing I plan to do is cure a couple of pork butts for buckboard/hillbilly bacon...  ;D While that's curing I have a couple of turkey breasts I think I'll smoke and fry in the Big Easy (will be the first use of that too!). Can't wait to thaw out a bit and start smokin again...