Big Easy - Test 1 & 2 & more

Started by deb415611, October 25, 2008, 03:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mercc250

on and off for 2 years. Bradley never budges on their retail prices. The lowest I have seen them is $288.00 on Amazon for the black OBS. I can't justify that for something I don't use that often.

mercc250

I am not a big fan of Cabelea's either and really don't buy much there however this experience worked out well. If the unit was dead I take it back within 2 days of purchase for a full refund. Got to admit I was not wanting to have to bring it back. I was actually pleased with the service at this store they were friendly and helpful. I asked the cashier why the unit was returned she said that they are purchsed alot during hunting season and brought back shortly afterwards with the reason of being defective or whatever. I would like to find a propane Bradley if thats the case.

deb415611

This chicken was huge - over eight pounds.  I forgot to check the time when I put it in & when I took it out but it was definately less than three hours.  No special prep - just lots of thyme, rosemary, sage, garlic, salt & pepper.

No sliced pics but it was juicy & moist.

beefmann

great  job Deb... looks delicious

Smokin Soon

Deb, Is yours the Costco unit? My guys that have both at work are reporting much longer cooking times on the Cosco unit than the standard model. Mine does not have any temp settings other than on or off.
I'm not really sure, but my cooking times are much quicker than the costco units. I can do a 12 pound turkey in an hour and a half and they say it takes 3+ hours. I don't really know.

deb415611

SS,

It is the Costco unit.  I have been running it at high.

Deb

iceman

I've used both units and prefer the one I got from Lowes. I use metal skewers as racks and can stack two large chickens in the basket at a time after I smoke them. Works great and cleanup is easy.

NePaSmoKer

deb

do a turkey they come out great. I like my big easy too.

nepas

deb415611

Nepas,

I want to do a turkey just haven't had time.  I am at the point that I need to find time for a test before Thanksgiving though!

Deb

Habanero Smoker

I just did a 9.5 lb. turkey today. It was small enough to lay flat, so I laid in on the bottom of the basket. The ambient temperature was 60°F, but windy; so I left the lid on the full time. The thermometer indicated the turkey was done in 1 hour 35 minute. The cooking time was much faster then the previous try with chicken.

For the most part the turkey was done, except some of the bottom areas of the turkey; which wasn't noticeable until carving. I guess because it was so close to the bottom not much heat circulated underneath. This probably would not occur when the turkey is cooked in a vertical position. If I had put a rack in the basket to raise the turkey higher it would have come out perfect.  I just place the under cooked areas in a pan and placed in it the oven to finish cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

La Quinta

Deb...YOU ROCK SISTER!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D Chickie looks awesome...that's a big sucker too!!!  :o

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

I'm hoping to cook something in it on Sunday.  We are leaving for NH this afternoon for a college open house and not back until late tomorrow so no time to brine anything for Sunday.  I'm hoping I can find a small fresh turkey on Sunday morning.  I really want to test it for Thanksgiving.  I was just going to do a turkey breast for Thanksgiving but the guest list is still growing.... so that's not going to work now   ;D   

Habs -  do you think two really small turkeys (like the one you did) would fit & work with a rack if the bottom one was raised so the bottom would cook?   I did the herb brined turkey breast with cure in it from Charcuterie a couple weeks ago - husband & son really liked it but I don't think my parents would so I was thinking of doing two.

Habanero Smoker

Deb;
The 9.5 lb turkey laid completely flat, except the tail had to be folded in. If I recall correctly the height came up to just below the third ring on the basket (from the bottom).  So if you raise the bottom one up one ring I don't believe two will fit or it will be very, very close. I know if you didn't raise the bottom one up you could fit two small birds at one time; 9.5 lbs or less. I used a butterball, and it came out very juicy, only prep was to season with kosher salt, Bell's Poultry Seasoning, and Old Bay Seasoning.

Rethinking the problem I had, I feel it could have been caused by one of two problems. 1) I left the cover on for the complete cooking time, and the instructions warn that this will cause the top portion of the meat to over brown, which must mean the top will cook faster. But it was a windy day, and the instructions state that you should use the cover when conditions are windy. The end product was a nice golden brown.

2) Or the radiant heat could not circulate under the bird, because it was too close to the bottom. The bird completely filled the bottom of the basket.

Just to clarify; when I say the third ring from the bottom, that is not including the bottom. So if you include the bottom it will be the fourth ring from the bottom.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)