Rookie Question

Started by Buck36, November 02, 2008, 05:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck36

I haven't tried smoking any fish yet. I would like to smoke some fish to take up to the hunting cabin in a couple weeks. I read through Kummok salmon recipe and it sounds delicious. I am a little concerned people would not like that strong of a fish flavor. Is that correct or does the brine cut some of the stronger salmon flavor?

I am trying to take something that appeals to as many people as possible. Mainly something we can snack on when playing cards. Should I try a more mild flavored fish or do the white fish with less oil not hold up as well in the smoker?

pensrock

I always felt the same way about salmon. But since making Kummoks salmon several times, everyone loves it. I do not like fishy tasting fish but think it has a lot to do with how the fish was cleaned and packaged. The guy who supplies me with salmon/steelhead is very fussy about cleaning and packaging the fillets. They taste much better than others given to me before.

LilSmoker

You can also add more sugar or syrup to the brine, as the extra sweetness would mask some of the fish flavour, but imo Kummoks recipe is just perfect the way it is  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Buck36

Pens and LS - Thanks for the input. I think Kummok's recipe will be the way to go!

pensrock

A little tip. Do not tell them what kind of fish it is. Let them taste it and guess. I had one guy at work who absoultly refused to try salmon because he always hated it in the past. I gave him a piece and told him it was steelhead. Guess what, he loved it!

Buck36

That is perfect!!! Why should I tell them anything? We will be too busy laughing and listening to the same stories told every year. I love deer camp.

Thanks again!!