Cold smoking timing

Started by kshuler, October 04, 2008, 05:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kshuler

Hi-

I am new to this forum, although I have been lurking in the dark reading things for the last 5 or 6 months, ever since getting my Bradley Digital smoker.  I have made Spyguy's recipe for cold smoked salmon now 3 times, each time has been an amazing success.  My question is related to timing of smoking.  I have read just about every internet post about cold smoking salmon that I can find, and it seems that, other than spyguy's (which is amazing), all the other recipes and descriptions say that cold smoked salmon must be smoked "from one day to two weeks."  Being that I tried increasing the time to 4 hours and found the smoke to be almost too strong, I can't figure out WHY anybody would smoke for that long.  Also, anybody having any issues with creosote in their smoked salmon.  The last batch I did had a slightly bitter taste on the surface that i am wondering about.

Thanks for any help!

Klaus

Gizmo

Those directions are for a different type of smoker than the Bradley.  IMO, the Bradley smoke is more concentrated as the wood smolders creating the smoke instead of burning wood producing less smoke.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Helena

Hi! I agree with the previous answer - when I smoke sides of bacon it only takes around 3 hours to get an excellent 'smoked' taste. The times are much shorter with the Bradley than any other method - this means all the other recipes have to be adapted to just a few hours.

beefmann

it  depends  on the  type of  smoker,  type  of wood, etc.. but  anyway 1 to 3  hours should do on fish in a  bradley