new dummy

Started by kandh, December 05, 2008, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kandh

new to smoking............ when i cold smoke fish say cod or simalar, do i just cold smoke it, freeze it, then cook it when requied..... and is that the same with poutry game etc...... would you hot or cold smoke fish and other stuff like bacon poultry together.... regards harry

manxman

When cold smoking white fish such as cod I brine the fillets for a short while before smoking. Once smoked it can be frozen then defrosted and cooked as required as you say. Vacuum packing it gives it a good long shelf life.

I would not mix fish with bacon with poultry for example when smoking for several reasons including smell and other cross contamination.

Very often people tend to stick with like items to fill their smoker, I tend to do fish or bacon or cheese or brisket / ribs and the like separately. There is some leeway on this and I have cold smoked say cheese, butter and salt at the same time and I am sure others will chip in with other combinations they find is ok.

Manxman

kandh

thanks for that.... picking it up as i go along.... regards harry

manxman

Quotethanks for that.... picking it up as i go along....

We have all had to do that somewhere along the line, let us know how you get on.  :)
Manxman

seemore

Hey!  Smoked butter?  Tell me how you do this??  Sounds wonderful....

Smoking Duck

I would think you would do butter the same as cheese but I would think the temp would have to stay lower than what you could tolerate with cheese.  I would imagine that with butter the setup would have to include a cold-box setup and not directly to the tower.  Not absolutely positive, but that's what I think, IMHO

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

seemore

thanks SD will try it some time ;D