Competitor vs. ProComm

Started by RhinoDoc, December 22, 2004, 03:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhinoDoc

OK - I am convinced I need to get the BBQ Guru. I believe nsx bill has the ProComm remote, which sounds good to me - I like the idea of being able to keep an eye on things from inside the house. Does anyone have an opinion on the two versions? The cost is a consideration, but not a deal buster for me. Thanks for any advice and/or opinions.

BigSmoker

Doc,
I have the competitor model for my grill and it works very well.  The Procomm lets you zero in on the temp while the competitor isn't quite as accurate.  If I was to buy again I would probally save the pennies and go for the procomm model.  Check this link for some pics and reviews of the procomm.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/wirelessguru.htm

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

if only my money tree would grow[:(]. i would get the procomm unit!!!!!!!!!!! i planted a dollar bill and watered the hell out of it still wont grow, i guess i dont have a green thumb.

nsxbill

Rhino Doc,

You won't regret getting the Procom4.  The Competitor is a fine unit too.  It was the one I had initially, and got the Procom4 when they first came out.  Man!  What a controller.  If you want any information on it, including the owner's manual and sample digital displays, private me and I will attach files to a response.

Hey Rob,

Did you get my email?  I am looking for someone to spin a disk for me on a lathe.  Little job...58mm disk 1/2" approx thick then machined down with shoulder to accept a set screw to secure it to what looks like a 1/4" shaft.  It is for an automatic espreso tamper.  The thing came with two disks, but both the wrong size for the portafilter for my espresso machine.

Happy Holidays,

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

St. Helens Smoker

Bill, if it isn't to forward of me, I would be interested in the info you so generously offered in your previous post.  I'm getting a pretty good handle on the manual control of things, but would love to be able to set this beastie up to where I could set it and get on with the day and not having myself or the missus having to check every so often, or set it and not have to the missus mess with things...not that its a problem, she just gets so amped up about "Doing something wrong and messing things up."

As well as my bro-in law, wants to play with it as well, but doesn't get a lot of time to monitor things.

I have been looking a bit at the Procom4 and think its the way to go, but wanna strike while the irons hot, and the Missus still thinks I "need"[:D] this accessory.

Yep, one lesson learned, get that stuff while the "new" hobby hasn't become an "obsession" yet and get the toys early, before she can really think about it[:D][:D]

nsxbill

You won't regret it.  I am sitting here at the computer smoking stuff for snacks in the BS right now.  Due to come out at noon.  Chicken Wings, Chicken tenders, meatballs.  Want to know the pit temp.  Just look to the right, pick up the Procom4 controller, and it tells me everything I need to know.  Pit temp, meat temp, length of time to go from alarm I set, and at other end of the house indoors about 150' away.  Works through the walls...don't have to worry about line of sight.  If I was in the dark, just push the light button and it temporarily lights up the display.  It is pricey, but worth it to me.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Toker

Hi there just red this post seems very interesting option for me i even went to the bbq guru home page im interested to buy one very soon but before i need to know something or a couple pls...

1st on the page its says the kit doesnt come with any adaptator and any blower do i need any to go with my obs?

2nd do i need to screw anything to the smoker a seen a pic of something tight next the smoke generator but didnt understood how to do it?

3rd i seen also that i must change my long electric cord that attach the cabinet for an computer cord but only the pre 2007 model would work how do you know the model year?

i think its all for now thx
                                 toker1313

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: toker1313 on March 24, 2008, 05:18:07 PM
Hi there just red this post seems very interesting option for me i even went to the bbq guru home page im interested to buy one very soon but before i need to know something or a couple pls...

1st on the page its says the kit doesnt come with any adaptator and any blower do i need any to go with my obs?

2nd do i need to screw anything to the smoker a seen a pic of something tight next the smoke generator but didnt understood how to do it?

3rd i seen also that i must change my long electric cord that attach the cabinet for an computer cord but only the pre 2007 model would work how do you know the model year?

i think its all for now thx
                                 toker1313

I use the Raptor/Guru competitor. Works great.

nepas

Toker

how did you attached the thing to the wood feeder on the smoke generator?

NePaSmoKer

thats the processor (competitor part) it has a threaded machine screw and washer on the back. the puck feeder tube has a small hole on the end. i just mounted it there.

the silver part on the sg is the raptor part which you need for the Bradley. i secured it with 2 sided tape. run all the probe wires throught the door. no heat loss or smoke loss

nepas

Toker

thx man really appreciated the time you took for me last quesstion no fan or adaptor needed to reduce the eat? (like mentionned in the bbq guru home page) it must be for grill only thx again

Habanero Smoker

When you order the Raptor/Guru kit for an electric smoker you don't need any of the adapters or fans. They are for wood and charcoal burning smokers.

Nothing needs to be screwed into the smoker, or permanently attached. If you order the package that has the DigiQ II, you should order the optional magnetic mount. That way you stick the DigiQ II anywhere on the cabinet surface. It won't stick to the feeding tube, because that is made from aluminum.

The Raptor/Guru will work with any year model. If you have the OBS, check the cord that runs from the cabinet to the generator. Look at the male connection end. If the prongs are exposed and it can be plugged into a standard outlet, that is the cord you need and your Bradley is pre-2007. If the male connection end is "hooded" and you cannot plug it into a standard outlet, that is a 2007 model or later. You will need to purchase a computer power cord.

Which Raptor/Guru combination are you planning on purchasing; the Pro Comm4; DigiQ II; or the Pit-minder?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

the procom 4 and i just checked and no i can not plug the little cord on the wall outlet but i can easyly find a computer power cord i think thx for you explanations and btw your double smoked bacon explanations were so clear that i already started it thx again habanero!

Habanero Smoker

Wow! The ProCom 4. I would like to get one of those. :)

Good luck with the Montreal Smoked Meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Holy crap the Procom 4 is bucks...is it really worth it?