Competitor vs. ProComm

Started by RhinoDoc, December 22, 2004, 03:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

at least, everyone who has it say its worth it.

Habanero Smoker

I don't have one, and I say it's worth it. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 26, 2008, 04:14:03 AM
Hab, would you e-mail Ann and tell her I need one real bad for R & D.  ;D ;)
She seems to think I already have to many widgets as it is.  :D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on March 26, 2008, 09:27:11 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 26, 2008, 04:14:03 AM
Hab, would you e-mail Ann and tell her I need one real bad for R & D.  ;D ;)
She seems to think I already have to many widgets as it is.  :D

I'll first have to check the prices of airfares for Alaska to New York. If the airfare is higher than the ProCom4, then I'll email her, because I don't think she would spend more to come here and clobber me then the ProCom4 will cost. On second thought, the prices of both may be close enough that sending the email may put me in jeopardy anyway. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

can someone pls explain me how a machine like it works for cold smoke? when no heat at all is aplyed (when smoke gen is detached from the cabinet?) what can he do on these circonstances? Does it work even without heat power at on at leat to tell me how hi or how low is the pit temp? And whats if i dont need to use meat temp only need to check for the pit temp? these probs seems to be working in team of 2 one for meat and one for pit. how can we make it work but only single only for pit temp and to mesurate not more than 80F ?

and whats about cheking 2 pieces of meat at the same time and only 1 pit time ( or if you have absolutely to measure th 2nd pit time eventhough its not on the same rack?) if both racks temp has to be measured are they always on the same temp (cause of they're different distance from the element) and if they're not, whats happends? How does the pit temps is organised on these ciconstances?

Habanero Smoker

Hi Toker;

Some sources say that the ideal cold smoke temperatures are between 70°F to 80°F. If you are one that wants to make sure that the cabinet maintains that temperature range when the ambient temperature is lower below 70°F then this will definitely keep it at the temperature you want. If you detach the generator, you will need to plug the cabinet heating element in.

Without any heat source it will still monitor the cabinet and meat temperatures, but it can not control the heat in the cabinet. If you just want something to just monitor the heat source, and meat temperature you  would be better off purchasing the Maverick ET-73, for around $40.00 US dollars.

I'm more familiar with the DigiQ II and Competitor, but I believe this is also true for the ProComm. The probes can work together (Ramp On) or independently of one another (Ramp Off)  The ProComm 4 has additional probes, so you can monitor more then one meat. If you want to monitor only the pit, then just use the pit probe.

The ProComm 4 will monitor more then one meat at a time, the DigiQ II/Competitor will only monitor one meat. You can use the meat probes to monitor temperatures in different parts of the cabinet, but only the pit probe will control the heat. When using the meat thermometers to monitor cabinet temperatures, you need to make sure the probe is not resting on the metal rack. You can either rig something up so the probe will hang below the rack, or use a large piece of potato, and push the probe through the potato so the end is protruding at least 1 inch, and then place in on the rack. There are limits in using the meat probe. I believe the meat probes will only measure temperatures up to 210°F, it the heat source goes over that you may encounter an out of range error.

The temperatures on each rack will probably give you different readings. This could be caused by several factors; such as distance from the heat source; how close the probe is to the meat (the pit temperature readings will be cooler the closer you are to the meat surface); how many racks are in the smoker and how much meat is loaded on each rack.

As I mentioned earlier; only the pit probe will control the the cabinet heat. If you use the meat probes for the pit and set it for "Ramp Off", it will only monitor the temperature. If you use the "Ramp On" mode; then the pit and meat probes "work" together; then the temperature will be control the the meat probe.

It early in the morning, so if I haven't answered all your questions please post additional questions. There are several on this board that use either the ProComm4 or Competitor. Between us, someone will be able to provide the answer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

no everything is fine i didnt know about the ramp on and off. Btw habs i know its probably not the right place to ask this but need to know so sorry for the inapropriated place...

When you have a piece of meat or fish with mutiple kinds of wood to smoke it how do you choose the order for starting it ex: cold smoked salmon i have a reciepie that says to use cherry,maple and apple but dont know in witch order smoking them. Really want to try this recepie Thx

Toker

Toker

BTW i already have a maverick et73 just wanted to know what the procom or the DigiQ II and Competitor could do more than the maverick to maintain and or monitoring the temp between 65-78 f and how it is working and if i had to put the heat on to make the procom or DigiQ II and Competitoron working at these temp eventhout i usually dont touch the heat button only smoke generator seperated from cabinet but never used a guru before.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: toker1313 on April 07, 2008, 03:51:24 AM
no everything is fine i didnt know about the ramp on and off. Btw habs i know its probably not the right place to ask this but need to know so sorry for the inapropriated place...

When you have a piece of meat or fish with mutiple kinds of wood to smoke it how do you choose the order for starting it ex: cold smoked salmon i have a reciepie that says to use cherry,maple and apple but dont know in witch order smoking them. Really want to try this recepie Thx

Toker
It's an interesting topic. You should repost and start a thread about this.

I do blend woods, but this question would be an individual preference. If I am doing butts (something that will be shredded) and I'm using apple and pecan, I would use 2 apple, then 1 pecan. If I am smoking a meat the will be sliced, or eaten in parts (such as brisket, ribs, chicken); I start with the wood that has the strongest flavor first, then finish with the wood with a milder flavor. Also I will use more of the mild flavor wood then I use of the stronger. I can't tell you if the order makes a difference or not; but this is how I do it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.