New owner (It's on it's way)

Started by coolbreeze, November 15, 2008, 02:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolbreeze

Well, I made the purchase and can't wait to get the 6 shelve unit. I have been grilling for years and my first attempt at a smoker was terrible I decided to invest in this new digital concept. And advice when I get it?? I want to make sure I do everything right!!

Thanks!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum coolbreeze!

I would check out our FAQ Section - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481

Make sure you season it - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=760&postcount=3

And try something simple like chicken or a pork butt for your first smoke. Only apply a couple of hours of smoke until you taste the food, then increase the smoke time on your next batch.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum coolbreeze!

Your gonna love it!  FL gots ya pointed in the right direction, any questions this fine group of folks are more than willing to help with their knowledge......I try  ::)....but once again, welcome aboard and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Best piece of advice I could give is don't be afraid to ask any question.  I can almost guarantee you that there will be someone who can answer your question or who has experienced the same thing you have.  The fine folks here are always willing to lend a hand.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

beefmann

Welcome to forum Cool, and congrats on your purchase.

a few things you want to do with your bradley when you  receive it

1) wash the interior and all of the racks, drip tray and drip tray

2) smoke season the bradley

3) check out some of the food that has been made and recipes that are  around

many have made various items that have came out delicious as well as posted pictures of there smoked food including myself..

explore  this site and read a lot of posts and absorb the information,,, we all are slightly different and do things differnt to get the same thing  done.

a few simple rules on smoking

smoking / cooking process

1) smoke with the top vent at least 1/2 open
2 ) smoke for 1 hr 20 min to 3 hours till you  develope your smoke taste
3) remember slow low and long on smoking and  cooking ... cook at 200 to 220 F untill the meat is done. alot of this depends on what you  are  making and ther are variations,,, some cook times are 15 to 20 hours and longest was around 28 hours.. i have done a 15 lb surloin roast that cooked 17 hours in the bradly
4) dont be afread to add your favorite beverage in a metal tray in the bottom of the bradley for added flavor

and the most important

dont be afread to ask questions .. its how we all  learn and bounce ideas off one another

Beefmann

josbocc

CoolBreeze,

Welcome to the forum.  The experts have you pointed in the right direction.  I've had my BDS6 for about 4 months now, and love it.

First smoking attempt was a couple of pork loins..., turned out awesome.  Next was chicken, turned out awesome.  After that some ribs, turned out awesome (see a pattern developing here?).

Have done some of Kummok's smoked salmon, and just this past weekend did my first attempt at "slim jims"  Both turned out well..., but I've got some fine tuning to do.

The rule of thumb here is ASK.  I guarantee that if you've got something that you'd like to try, someone on the forum has already smoked it. 

Experiment with different flavors of smoke, WestTexasSmoker will tell you that there is only one acceptable wood for smoking, and that's Mesquite.  Personally I think that he's been smoking that stuff through something other than a Bradley  ;D ;D ;D

The forum is a wealth of information.  Enjoy, and don't forget to let us know how it turns out.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

coolbreeze

Well, I put it together and it was a snap!! 20 mins, cleaned it out and it's outside right now with Hickory seasoning. The sad part is that I won't actually get to cook on it until after vacation but I might season it again when I get back. I want it to be ready to go for the Bowl Games!!!  ;)

westexasmoker

Seasoning can be such a tease....Its your first time playing with the new toy, and your smelling that wonderful smoke next thing you know your digging through your fridge for something to smoke!  Congrats and keep us posted!

C

coolbreeze

Quote from: westexasmoker on November 18, 2008, 11:19:01 AM
Seasoning can be such a tease....Its your first time playing with the new toy, and your smelling that wonderful smoke next thing you know your digging through your fridge for something to smoke!  Congrats and keep us posted!

C

That's exactly what I was just telling my girlfriend. :) I need to smoke something tonight :)

Smoking Duck

Quote from: coolbreeze on November 18, 2008, 01:10:42 PM
Quote from: westexasmoker on November 18, 2008, 11:19:01 AM

C

That's exactly what I was just telling my girlfriend. :) I need to smoke something tonight :)

I said the same thing and got slapped  >:(  Guess we've been married too long  ;)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin_N_Texas

I'm also a new owner and really appreciate all the posts above. My unit is being shipped via UPS now and their tracking website is not being very cooperative. Keeps giving me a "Not all tracking information is available". I've experienced it and have friends who have said that UPS tracking sucks and to just expect it to show up at the door before their website ever tells you anything useful. Oh well, i've spent the last 4 days on these forums and the recepies site, and have seen some really awesome pics and recepies. Beefman does such an awesome job of documenting his recepies with pics it really gets me excited about trying out many of the things he's done.  I too tried smoking in a Brinkman bullet years ago with horrible results but have always wanted to get into smoking as i really love the flavor. I'm a BBQ fanatic. I'm also a pretty successful home grown cajun cook and my specialties have been cajun dishes to this point, but now hope to unleash my passion for smoked meats and also combine some of that with my cajun recepies. Can't Wait to get started!!

Mr Walleye

Hi Smokin_N_Texas and welcome to the forum.

I here ya! Waiting always sucks!  :D

Oh well, with the studying you've been doing you'll hit the ground running when it does arrive. Keep us posted....

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum S_n_T!

Don't worry its all worth the wait, you'll be turning out some of the most amazing vitals ya never even thought about!  Another Texan on board....Guess I should have said Howdy!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I think there are one or two other cajun folks on here.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin_N_Texas

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. My wife called me while at lunch to tell me that my BDS was delivered just a few hours ago. Go figure!!  I have to say that i am very impressed that these forums are so active. I feel certain that i can get quick and good advice when needed. I plan on "seasoning" the unit when i get home this evening, so its ready for some action this weekend.

Just in time!! I've got a houseful of people over on Sunday for an annual holiday party i do for friends. Its the only Fried Turkey most of them get each year. I plan on kicking it up a notch with the Smoked then Fried Turkey from the Recepies on the Bradley site. I will do a trial run on Saturday and smoke a few different things just to get the feel of the process. Now the only wait i have is the 5 o'clock whistle to head home.  ;D