Christmas Turkey

Started by JJC, December 23, 2004, 03:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Hi All,

There have been several threads dealing with turkey, and I have yet to my first turkey on my new BS, but I'm looking forward to starting it tomorrow.  

One trick I used with my old bullet smoker to make fantastic gravy was the following:  I would set the turkey on a half full beer can (Fosters extra large size is good for the smokee as well as the smoker . . .) or on a chick rack like Olds showed in another thread.  Either way I would place the turkey in a roasting pan to collect the juices.  To the pan I would add water mixed 50/50 with apple juice and a quartered onion.  By the end of the smoking period, most of the water has evaporated, and resulting apple/onion/smoke/juice mix makes a delicious smoked gravy.  

I'm planning to do this with the BS and I'll keep everyone posted as to the results.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Cold Smoke

Ma num ma num!! That's Muppet talk for "Yummy!"[:p][:p] For those who are old enough to remember the Muppets.

Cold Smoke

Habanero Smoker

As I posted in an earlier thread, I tried catching the juices and all the juices had evaporated. What was left at the bottom of the pan was not worth trying to make a gravy out of.

I did not try adding liquids to the pan that I was catching the drippings in. Let us know if this works, but I believe if you add more liquids in the BS, you will end up with skin that is "rubbery". Also you may have problems keeping the temperature up; especially this time of year. The BS is not like the Bullet, which requires water to help regulate it's temperature. Keep your vent open.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Ma num ma num!! That's Muppet talk for "Yummy!" For those who are old enough to remember the Muppets.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Old enough?? Man I was full grown and then some by the time they came around [;)]

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Keep your vent open.

Thanks for the tip, HS.  I'll let you know how it goes.  May have to be a trade off between great skin and great gravy . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

J2C,how are you preping your turkey, brine or rub? if you want a better tasting skin. sit it in a pan in the fridge and let it air dry in there overnight un covered befor you smoke.

Rukus

Greetings all, new to the forum and fairly new to the world of Bradley smokers.  I have done a batch of salmon, almonds and suasages so far.  I am trying a turkey for thanksgiving, I have it bringing right now, but am curious what woods you all use.  I have seen pecan and hickory mentioned.  Pecan sounds good, hickory sounds a bit to much.  What about apple?  Just curious as to what woods you all use.  I know it's a matter of personal taste, so what taste good to you?

Thanks in advance for any info

Rukus

Rukus

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rukus</i>
<br />  I am trying a turkey for thanksgiving, I have it brineing right now, but am curious what woods you all use.
Rukus
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sorry, that should read Christmas, not Thanksgiving.  I think breathing in all the smoke has gotten to me.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rukus</i>
Just curious as to what woods you all use.  I know it's a matter of personal taste, so what taste good to you?
I like an apple pecan combo.  Maybe 2 apple to 1 pecan[:p].  HTH and welcome to the forum.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

I use Apple, if I'm out of that I use Maple. I cook my turkey to 165 degrees F, measured in the deepest part of the thigh.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JJC

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rukus</i>
<br />  I am trying a turkey for thanksgiving, I have it brineing right now, but am curious what woods you all use.
Rukus

Sorry, that should read Christmas, not Thanksgiving.  I think breathing in all the smoke has gotten to me.
Welcome Rukus!  I'm a newbie, too, and these guys really make you feel welcome as well as provide tremendous help.

As for woods with turkey, I've had great luck with apple.  Haven't tried pecan, but I bet the 2:1 apple:pecan mix that Jeff suggested would be great, too.  I'm going to try that sometime in January.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />J2C,how are you preping your turkey, brine or rub? if you want a better tasting skin. sit it in a pan in the fridge and let it air dry in there overnight un covered befor you smoke.
Rob, I am brining it.  Should I put it in the frig after it's brined to air dry like you said?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

Yes. You should always air dry fish and poultry with skin, until the skin or flesh feels tacky to the touch. I often air dry 12 to 24 hours depending on the condition of the poultry. If it is moist, the finished product will not develop a good of film of smoke. I should note there are occasions when you do not follow this rule, such as when you smoke a marinated products.

In addition, air drying removes moisture from the poultry skin, and helps prevent tough and rubbery skin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />Yes. You should always air dry fish and poultry with skin, until the skin or flesh feels tacky to the touch. I often air dry 12 to 24 hours depending on the condition of the poultry. If it is moist, the finished product will not develop a good of film of smoke. I should note there are occasions when you do not follow this rule, such as when you smoke a marinated products.

In addition, air drying removes moisture from the poultry skin, and helps prevent tough and rubbery skin.

Thanks, Rob!  I should have mentioned that I always air dry after I brine, but for turkey I usually do it for 1-3 hours at room temp.  I really appreciate the frig tip.  I'll make sure I do it 12-24 hr, and will keep you posted on the results.

Merry Merry!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Greetings Rukus! I seldom do a turkey, but I do use a lot of Oak. Glad you join the Bradley family...

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!