JJC

Rukus,

How did your Christmas turkey come out?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

wwjd4700

[:)]HELLO...I AM SMOKING A TURKEY AS WE SPEAK....USING APPLE AND PLANNING ON A 8 HOUR SMOKE THEN FINISHING IN OVEN....ONLY THIRD THING I HAVE SMOKED SINCE RECIEVING BS AS GIFT THREE DAYS AGO. HEHE...HOPE IT TURNS OUT OK....AFTER READING ALL THE FORUM POSTS I WISH I HAD READ FIRST BEFORE STARTING THE SMOKE....AM I CORRECT IN ASSUMING APPROX. 90 MINUTES PER LB.???  OR SHOULD I JUST GO BY INTERNAL TEMP AND NOT WORRY ABOUT HOW LONG IT SMOKES....

WWJD
HAVING FUN IN IOWA......

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

WWJD, 8 hours of smoke , that is a bit to much, go 4 hours of smoke, and then keep it in there, untill it hits your temp. if you run out of time finish in oven , how big of a turkey? oh by the way welcome to the forum.

wwjd4700

thanks for the advice..i will go with the 4 hour smoke....it is a 12 lb turkey....

WWJD
HAVING FUN IN IOWA......

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wwjd4700</i>
<br />thanks for the advice..i will go with the 4 hour smoke....it is a 12 lb turkey....

WWJD
HAVING FUN IN IOWA......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi WWJD,

Welcome to the Forum!

Rob is spot-on, as usual.  Go by the meat temp, not the time.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

wwjd4700

HELLO ALL...THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE.  SMOKED THE TURKEY 4 HOURS AND IT COOKED FOR 10 1/2 HOURS TOTAL TO REACH 170 DEGREES. VERY MOIST AND GOOD TASTING TURKEY. IT DID NOT A VERY STRONG SMOKE FLAVOR TO IT WHICH IS WHAT I LIKE BUT OUR GUESTS REALLY LIKED IT SO IT WAS A SUCCESS. WONDERING IF YOU CLOSE DOWN ON THE DAMPER WILL IT INCREASE THE SMOKE FLAVOR SOME?? WILL CLOSING DOWN RETAIN TOO MUCH MOISTURE?? THANKS IN ADVANCE...

GO HAWKEYES!!!!!!  IOWA 30 LSU 25!!![:D]

WWJD
HAVING FUN IN IOWA......

nsxbill

I use max of 4hrs of smoke.  Last turkey with Apple bisquettes.  Damper 1/3 open all the way.  Changed water at 4hrs.  Came out great.  It did taste smokey!

Note Bacon above dripping down throughout cooking.

Looked and tasted great!

Bill

p.s.  Can't believe that Iowa pulled that off against  LSU....no investment, but man what a "Hail Mary!"  LSU defense just too tired or lazy to make that last play!
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

Nice bird Bill!

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Warrior

I am new here, and just as excited as a little kid on Christmas morning...

I have done 2 loads of jerky in BS and it turned out great.  I want to try a turkey (when it warms up outside) Supposed to be -25C this weekend here in Calgary.  What is the coldest anyone has used their BS???

Anyways, Is there a difference if you do the bird laying flat like nsxbill did, or if you do it on a rack standing up?  Seems some people talk about filling the cavity with liguids and spices, how do you keep this all inside and keep it from running out?  Some people talk about collecting the juices that drip out, but I also read something about the drip pan being dry at the end of the smoking process...  I'm ssoooo confused (this is normal for me) LOL

Thanks for any help you can provide.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Warrior</i>
<br />I am new here, and just as excited as a little kid on Christmas morning...

I have done 2 loads of jerky in BS and it turned out great.  I want to try a turkey (when it warms up outside) Supposed to be -25C this weekend here in Calgary.  What is the coldest anyone has used their BS???

Anyways, Is there a difference if you do the bird laying flat like nsxbill did, or if you do it on a rack standing up?  Seems some people talk about filling the cavity with liguids and spices, how do you keep this all inside and keep it from running out?  Some people talk about collecting the juices that drip out, but I also read something about the drip pan being dry at the end of the smoking process...  I'm ssoooo confused (this is normal for me) LOL

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi Dwayne,

Welcome to the Forum!  There are much more exerienced folks in the Forum than I, but here's my $.02 . . .

Massachusetts is not nearly as cold as your area, but I have smoked turkey in 10-15F weather with no problem.  I use the cold temps to do "cold smoking" stuff like cheese, nuts, and lox.

As for flat vs. vertical, that's a matter of preference.  As many wiser members of this Forum have said, you've got to try stuff out and see what you like.  For example, try a chicken flat and a chicken "on a throne" and see if you notice a difference.  Your results will probably translate to turkey and its mostly a matter of taste.  
As for the pan being dry, that's definitely true, and some people in this group will tell you that it makes no difference whether you use water or something flavored in the waste bowl.  My limited experience tells me that putting apple juice with a quartered onion in the waste bowl adds to the overall flavor of the bird.  You'll need to try it for yourself and see.  If you can't tell the difference, use water.

That's just my opinion, and others here may have different experiences to contribute . . . just don't be afraid to experiment and come to your own conclusions!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

oguard

warrior i have just finished some jrky.itwas about 5 below here the only problem was the initial warm up and as long as you keep the door shut.

keep smokin

oguard b.c. canada

p.s. how about that jr hockey
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oguard</i>
<br />warrior i have just finished some jrky.itwas about 5 below here the only problem was the initial warm up and as long as you keep the door shut.

keep smokin

oguard b.c. canada

p.s. how about that jr hockey
Welcome to the Forum, Mike!  BTW, what's junior hockey? [:D][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA