Thermometer

Started by birdboy, December 25, 2004, 01:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

Information on Guru is at http://www.thebbqguru.com.

Prepare for sticker shock!  To me it is worth it.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

birdboy

Mine was hit and miss approx 40 feet away inside, it would update sometimes and others it wasn't reading what the base unit was.  I had to wind up moving it across the room right in front of the glass doors.

I tried the boiling water test and its seems the Mav is pretty close although it did get some weird readings now and then 268...300+ ... HHH, but they only lasted a few seconds.  The BS thermo seems to be about 30 degrees off.

Sticker shock for sure. I can't believe a digital temp control (simple version not with the options of the guru) would cost much more than the temp slider.  They seem so common now days.  Should be just like your hot tub, enter a temp and viola !

JJC

Spoke with Darrren at Maverick in NJ today.  He had me do a couple of tests (range outside, line of sight with no obstructions, then from outdoors to indoors through a glass door).  My LOS range outdoors was only 50-60 feet, and the out-->in test was only good for 20 feet.  He was very helpful and told me send him the unit for a replacement.

Rob, did you call him today, too?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>
<br />Mine was hit and miss approx 40 feet away inside, it would update sometimes and others it wasn't reading what the base unit was.  I had to wind up moving it across the room right in front of the glass doors.

I tried the boiling water test and its seems the Mav is pretty close although it did get some weird readings now and then 268...300+ ... HHH, but they only lasted a few seconds.  The BS thermo seems to be about 30 degrees off.

Sticker shock for sure. I can't believe a digital temp control (simple version not with the options of the guru) would cost much more than the temp slider.  They seem so common now days.  Should be just like your hot tub, enter a temp and viola !
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi Brian,

I think your high readings may be due to superheated steam occasionally throwing off the probe.  The superheated steam can come from a bubble that is rising to the surface but passes through the probe on its way.  If I'm right, there's no need to worry about your unit.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

birdboy

I agree, it seemed to by pretty much on the money, much more than the door thermometer was.

I'll have to do the line of sight test as well to check the range.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

J2C yes i did, sent it to him today. thanks, he didnt ask me to do any test. just said send it to him.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>
<br />I agree, it seemed to by pretty much on the money, much more than the door thermometer was.

I'll have to do the line of sight test as well to check the range.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Brian,

Just a thought--if your Bradley gauge is really that far off, you might want to replace it (or have Bradley replace it if its still under warranty).

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

birdboy

Yep, its in the mail along with the temp slider.  Just got the tracking number and it look like it may arrive today, which would be very nice.  Now if it works right when I get it put together then they'll get the big double thumbs up for service.

birdboy

They arrived... the wrong parts [:(!]