Pork Tenderloin suggestions

Started by Juneviking, December 26, 2004, 05:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juneviking

Want to do a pork tenderloin for New Year's. I didn't see many recepies on the boards. Anyone have a good one (stuffed or not stuffed). Please include temp, time and suggested flavors. I'm open.

thanks

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

MallardWacker

June,

I know it's to late know but you might want to think about curing it a little befor you smoke it.  It is way too easy and it does make a great change to the same old cook tenderloin.  Look for directions under Curing and Bacon.  Just an Idea, I have never been really fond of just plain tenderloin, seem pretty lifeless to me...Just a thought, be safe and have fun...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

maybe try this, havent tride it yet butt here its very good.
Roast Pork Loin

Serving Size: 12

3 lb Boneless Pork Loin

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tbs garlic

2 tbs fresh ginger, grated

2 tbs honey

2 tbs rice vinegar

1 tbs sesame oil

1 tsp dried red pepper flakes

1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Place pork loin in a large bowl and cover with marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Drain off marinade and reserve liquid.

Place the fat-side up, smoke until internal temp reaches 150°F, maybe basting it a few  with marinade. . Remove from heat, and allow to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.

—————

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />maybe try this, havent tride it yet butt here its very good.
Roast Pork Loin

Serving Size: 12

3 lb Boneless Pork Loin

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tbs garlic

2 tbs fresh ginger, grated

2 tbs honey

2 tbs rice vinegar

1 tbs sesame oil

1 tsp dried red pepper flakes

1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Place pork loin in a large bowl and cover with marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Drain off marinade and reserve liquid.

Place the fat-side up, smoke until internal temp reaches 150°F, maybe basting it a few  with marinade. . Remove from heat, and allow to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.

—————

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Man, that sounds good!  I'll be trying that for my next pork tenderloin . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

Here's my current fave: Marinate it overnight in:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbl rosemary
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes

I'm thinkin' I'm gonna turn up the heat on the next one as the MIL thinks it tastes great & to her, pepper is exotic & spicy![:D]

Rob nailed it on the temp though. If you cook it to what your mother thought it should be cooked to, you'll ruin it.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

Juneviking: I have an excellent recipe that converted my partner from "Why do you have to make things so complicated?" (She was talking about the smoker) to "Make this AGAIN!" with an awed look on her face.
<b>Smoked Pork Tenderloin with plum-rosemary Marinade</b>
Plum-Cassis Marinade (recipe below)
2-3 Tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary leaves
apple or orange juice
3 lb pork tenderloin

<b></b>Marinade
6 fresh plums, pitted and coarsely chopped(I freeze some from our tree every summer just for this recipe)
1/4 cup creme de cassis liqueur
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dry Madeira wine
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg.

1) Boil plums and cassis then reduce heat and simmer for 20 min.
Cool.
2)combine plum mixture with vinegar, wine, garlic, mustard, sugar and nutmeg and puree.

<b></b>Cooking method
1)Combine marinade and rosemary and marinate pork overnight or for 8 hours.
2)Remove pork, boil marinade to baste with.
3) Use apple juice in the water pan of your smoker, smoke pork with apple or cherry or pecan until internal temp reaches 140 f.
4) Prepare to receive the accolades of your guests. This recipe is the one that convinced me that a smoker should be used for more than just salmon.It's from a cookbook called Marinades by Jim Tarantino. Hope you enjoy if you try it.
Tom

nsxbill

Tom,

This sounds delicious.  I might pick up a couple of packages, and try this, and maybe a Chipotle/cream cheese stuffing in one of them.  Have been meaning to revisit pork loin again.  

Happy New Year

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

tsquared

Bill-that stuffing sounds excellent! You're making my taste buds stand up and I haven't even had breakfast yet! Just finished loading the smoker with 12 lbs of king salmon to cold smoke. Let me know how you liked the pork if you do try it.
Tom

nsxbill

It is amazing how a group of people get together, via a message board, and it inspires each of us to try stuff we wouldn't normally cook.  I have a 8# Prime Rib going into the BS at 1100hrs this morning.  I have never considered Prime Rib a first choice at any restaurant.  Wife likes it, so after reading posts on how good it comes out, giving it a go this a.m.

Going to let my BBQ-Guru control the action, and cooking to 135°.  I think I am going to use 3 Hickory to 1 Mesquite, and see how it does.  When it comes out, will "wtc" it for a couple of hours and should be about right when she gets in after 1700hrs.  Ouside slices should be medium to medium rare for me and inside rare for the little woman.  

I take a turn cooking a couple of times a week.  I think I will do up some scalloped potatoes to accompany the beef.  Raining like hell here and wind gusting over 35mph.  Despite being under covered porch, hope my timing is right and the weather doesn't disrupt my estimated finish time.

Wine is chilling - Beer is good for the cook, but wine will be better with dinner!

Happy New Year!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

bsolomon

I see this request for recipes basically became both a pork tenderloin and pork loin listing.  Pork tenderloins are much smaller in diameter, and lend themselves to most marinades.  Pork loins are obviously much thicker and can be marinaded, stuffed, or both.  

Here is a recipe concept (sorry I don;t have exact amounts) for rolled stuffed pork loin that I have done in the oven.  If anyone gets the Willams-Sonoma catalog, you can order something very similar (but it is of course very expensive as well) that was the inspiration for this.  I haven't tried this in a smoker, but I think this would work great.

Get a boneless pork loin roast 3-6 lbs, and using a very sharp knife, begin cutting starting around the outside edge of the circumference to a uniform thickness of about 1/2" (think of trying to "unroll" this around its circumference to make on large thin layer of pork).  You will end up with a rectangle of meat, the length of the original roast, 1/2" thick and a few inches across, depending on the original diameter. Place fat side down and rub with EVOO, and sprinkle with salt and pepper on the exposed surface.

For the stuffing:  saute some finely minced shallots in equal parts butter and EVOO until translucent, then add your choice of mushrooms and a bit of minced garlic, and continue sauteeing until just about done.  Then add some sliced apricots, dried cranberries (Craisins), a little chopped fresh parsley, a splash of white wine, and some salt and pepper, and continue sauteeing for another couple of minutes.  Remove from the pan and allow the mixture to cool.  Spoon this in an even layer onto the pork loin.

Now, carefully roll the pork loin, starting at the edge closest to you, until you create a "log" shape. You will end up with a very pretty spiral cross-section of meat and stuffing.  Tie the roll widthwise with a couple lengths of butcher twine, and then add one lengthwise as well.  Now rub the outer surface with EVOO, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Brown the outside of the roast on all sides in a skillet with some EVOO.  

For convenional oven: (and what's the fun in that?) Then roast at 325 degrees for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours hours until the internal temperature reaches about 155 degrees.

For smoker:  I would suggest 200 degrees for the smoker with about 3 hours of smoke (Apple, Cherry, Pecan and/or Maple).  Cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees, and then FTC (foil, towel, cooler).  I am guessing that this would take about 5 hours of cooking time.

Now I've made myself hungry...  I guess I know what I'm smoking next!

Oldman

<font size="4"><font color="red"><b>I have added both tsquared's and Chez Bubba's Marinades to the recipe collection.
</b></font id="red"></font id="size4">
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!