Found a deal!

Started by Dex, November 26, 2008, 11:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex

Hi everyone! I have been lurking on the site here for a while now. Getting ready to purchase my first smoker. I found a Stainless Steel on craigslist, brand new, and the lady only wants $200 bucks for it! Im getting ready to go check it out, but she said it was new in box. Cant wait... if all is good, this is a great deal! ;D

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Dex!

Sounds like a deal to me...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

Thats a GREAT deal! Get over there fast!

Mr Walleye

Hi Dex and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like your gettin' a hell of a deal!  ;)

Keep us posted.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

beefmann

welcome to the forum Dex ..

buy  it  dex... BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

Dex if im not  clear... send me the link and i  will buy  it ...  i could always use another smoker

Dex

Thanks for the welcom guys! I contacted the seller and Its mine. I am picking it up on Friday. She was busy with getting ready for Thanksgiving and I couldn't get to her today, but she is holding it for me.

I am pumped though. For $200 I cant go wrong!

So with this being my first smoker, what would be a good first smoke? Im up for suggestions on rubs and everything! Thanks for any input.... Ive already learned quite a bit

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Dex!

Thats a good score!  A good safe smoke, to get your feet wet, is chicken and unless you want to make your own the McCormicks rubs are very good for store bought!  Once again welcome and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

$200 is a great price.  I saw a used Original sell for over $200 on Ebay a little while back.

As WTS said, chicken is real easy.

If you haven't already checked out the recipe site, I highly recommend it.  Here's the link: http://www.susanminor.org/

You can peruse the recipe site and make up your mind on what to do first.  The beauty of smoking is that even our mistakes taste great!

Welcome, Dex!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Dex

I think chicken will be my trial run. Could I just do like a rack or two of nice chicken breast? How do you know how to pair up spices and wood flavor? Again, I'm willing to try and recipes that you guys suggest!

This might be a dumb question - but aside from the sauses, is smoking a healthy way of cooking?

Gizmo

Check out the recipe site Smoking Duck posted.  It is in the bottom under this message as well. 
Healthy Way of Cooking?
Depends on your definition of healthy.  If you look at it from a carbohydrate perspective, you can get much better, and if you don't smother everything in sugar, it stays that way.

Good nutrition is a balance not an elimination.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Dex,
Great score on your part!  How do you know how to pair up spices with wood?  I will yield to the more learned members of the forum but I believe it is a matter of what you like..  There are woods that are stronger than others...hickory,(God forgive me) mesquite, and others.  Milder smoke is fruit woods, and alder.  Bottom line is have fun learning what you like best.  You really can't screw up anything you're going to smoke by using the wrong wood.  The smoke may be stronger than you prefer but the best part is learning what you like.

Bottom line is in my opinion there is no right or wrong.  Have fun, welcome to the forum and if you need help we are all here to help you.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Dex welcome aboard.
NO having a Bradley IS NOT healthy.

1) Once you figure it out you have to continually tell the better half that you MUST keep a continuous watch on things when smoking. Which leads to the consumption of several adult beverages. While your killing time making it look like your busy.

2) You will gain 10-15lbs because IF YOU CAN EAT IT YOU CAN SMOKE IT, So you will try to smoke everything you can get your hands on and of course you have to eat your trials and your errors. Nothing wrong with that.

WAIT WAIT WAIT I was wrong it IS healthy. You will soon take up RUNNING. you will be running from all the people asking you to smoke something for them after they taste all the great food you are about to create.

Have fun and Enjoy!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

Dex...Dex...Dex...that is a killer deal...just "kit" yourself up with some other stuff (like temp probes, pucks, and the like) and you will be really..really happy!  :)

Great deal... happy for ya!! Have at it dude!!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Dex;

Welcome to the forum.

Just like your spices, smoke is a seasoning so it should be paired up with the type of meat you are smoking. The below link is a quick guide to what woods work best for the type of meat you want to smoke. On the other hand there are not hard rules, and once you get your feet wet it is fun to experiment.

Bisquettes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

love the smoke

me being somewhat new my self I find if you keep some kind of a smoker log it really helps unless you can remember what wood you used and what rub/spices on every smoke, then you can look back and say oh ya that's how I did that one and it tasted awesome ( most do)

Most of all have fun and experiment

LTS
LTS