First try..Sausage injected pork-loin

Started by JDNC, November 28, 2008, 05:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

Well..my first smoke in my new OBS after receiving my replacement generator and installing a TS was a success (good thing as this was for my mother-inlay)!

After looking at several recipes for stuffed sausage pork-loins,  I decided to attempt injecting a loin with sausage.  I cut a small loin in half (trimmed the fat and with a large needle (approx 1/4 inch inside dia and 5 in long) I injected Jimmy Dean sausage into both ends of each half loin.  I guess about 4 oz sausage in both half loins.  I rubbed with a basic dry rub and placed each into gal zip-loc bags with about a 1/4 cup of Dale's steak seasoning (a marinade) and refrided overnight.  Preheated my smoker and smoked two hrs with 6 hickory pucks and held temps at 200-215 for a total of  6 hrs.  I removed the meat at an IT of 155 (FTC for 2 hrs) due to the sausage inside and was worried about the  loin being too dry but it turned out great!  The only problem was explaining to some what the little grey colored spot in the center was.  I think they thought the meat was bad or something!

I originally thought the sausage might contribute to moisture in the finished product but now I don't think so.  I don't think the IT gets high enough for the fat to do it's thing.  It does contribute to the flavor though.  Anyway...everyone thought it was great and I was tickled that it was not too dry.

JD

beefmann