Cold Smoking Cheese

Started by dbrown, December 26, 2004, 09:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown

We are searching for a recipe to smoke cheese on the Bradley.  Smoke and Spice does not have one.  The Bradley Cook book has one but not very good instructions.  Anyone have a suggestion.  Thanks

Janie

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

welcome to the fourm.  really no recipes for smoking cheese. do a search of the whole fourm, you will find alot of info. bigest thing is not to go over temp of 80 deg.  or you will have cheese soup. plus once done wipe it clean, then wrap it in suran wrap put in fridge for a few days. if you dont it wont taste good. just pick your cheese and then your wood, hickory or peacan , hell just have fun. about 2 hours of cold smoke. also do a search on cold smoking . for a few $ you can make up a cold smoking box .

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dbrown</i>
<br />We are searching for a recipe to smoke cheese on the Bradley.  Smoke and Spice does not have one.  The Bradley Cook book has one but not very good instructions.  Anyone have a suggestion.  Thanks

Janie
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Janie,

I just finished smoking some cheddar cheese on the BS, and it came out great.  Rob is right:  4-6 hickory pucks (haven't tried pecan, but I will soon) depending on taste and keep the temp low.  The nice thing about cheddar is that you can up to 90-100F and still be OK, but it's best  if you can stay under 80F.  Keep the vent wide open to keep the temp down.  Also, unplug the chamber from the smoke generator.  

Don't bother tastiong it when it comes off the smoker--it will taste like a burnt log.'  Wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the frig for a few days before eating and it will be terrific.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

for around $6 go to the hardware store and buy you a dryer vent kit,  and build this for cold smoking. i did and works great, go here for details. http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm take a box , and cut a hole in the top, take the dryer flange that you would put threw the wall. take out the plastic louver flanges, put it threw the top, with the flange in side the box and the round part out the top. put your hose on and tape it up. i took some small blocks of wood and used screws to  clamp it and seal it to the box. then put the box on a flat surface slide your smoke gen up next to it and cut out a small hole for the puk ramp to slide in threw. pick a mid size box so that the water bowl will also fit fill with water and add ice to it also put it inside your box  to help cool it and catch the burnt puks. run the hose to the bradley a bit of duct tape to seal it. watch your temp if needed add ice to the bradley. also leave the bradley temp off. save your cold smoking rig for future cold smokes. easy to do and your temp will be around 68, aslong as its not a hot day out.

whitetailfan

Janie,
You just didn't scroll far enought down, all the cheese info you can eat in the veggie, cheese and nuts section.  This is the main thread on smoking cheese...
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21
Good luck - just did some for Christmas and it was excellent.  I like hickory, but more people I have given it to seem to enjoy pecan better, so I have started only using pecan on medium cheddar.[:p]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

gotbbq

I made some smoked gouda last weekend.  It was fair, at best.  The wife reminds me that I don't like gouda anyway.  ah, yes

Gotbbq[^][^][^]

JJC

Hi gotbbq,

I've done a couple of goudas, with good results.  Might just be how much I like gouda, but can you tell me how you did yours and whether the gouda was young or aged??

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

psdubl07

I've done cheddar and pepperjack, which was awesome shredded into chili! [8D]   I only use 1 hour worth of hickory smoke.

Keep the temp down and definitely wrap it in saran and throw it into the fridge for at least a couple days before eating.

BTW, I was going to build the little contraption referenced above, but the local Home Dopey only had Aluminum vent tubing.  Anyone think this would be a problem as far as adding off tastes?  I guess since it's only be for cold-smoking it wouldn't even get hot anyway.... [?]

gotbbq

JJC-

I did 4 blocks, about 2 lbs each of non-aged gouda.  I cold smoked for about 2 hours with light smoke, vent all the way open.  I kept the temp at 65 by using a ice cream machine maker frozen insert at the botoom of the bradley.  That part was great.  No dripping ice or water to deal with.  My family thought it was good, I guess I'm not a big gouda fan.  I also made mozzerella.  That I liked.

Gotbbq[^][^][^]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Hi gotbbq,

I've done a couple of goudas, with good results.  Might just be how much I like gouda, but can you tell me how you did yours and whether the gouda was young or aged??

John
Newton MA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

JJC

Looks we did it the same way (I used apple for 2 hr, might try cherry for little shorter time) with young gouda.  Guess you're not a gouda fan [:D].  Glad you liked the mozz [:p]!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

gotbbq

JJC-

I let the gouda sit in the fridge wrapped up in saran.  It was much, much better, cold and the smoke must have infiltrated the cheese,  Im a gouda fan[:D]

gotbbq

simmy

I just smoked 2 lbs of cheddar with 2 hours of Maple, after 24 hours of being saran wrapped in the fridge I can't wait to have a fried egg sandwhich with it.[:p][:p]

Steve

JJC

Just tried some smoked cheddar that I smoked with apple about 2 weeks ago.  No question in my mind that the longer you can wait after smokin' the cheese, the "smoother" and better distributed the smoke flavor is!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

Smoked cheese also makes a delicious grill cheese sandwich. Just shred 2-3 ounces of cheese spread the cheese evenly between two slices of buttered bread and grill or fry it. The cheese melts quickly and evenly. It is good just like it is, or you can get creative and add any seasonings you want. I like to top the cheese with some thinly sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with garlic powder and a little oregano. Sometimes I add pickled jalapeno, and/or bacon bits. You can go wild with this.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

I  agree with JJC, the longer the cheese is left the better it seems to taste. I leave mine a minimum of 48 - 72 hours post smoking now before eating.

One of my current favourites is to grate onto the top of a chilli con carne, sooooooooooo tasty. [:D][:D][:D]

Manxman.
Manxman