Bradley and Big Easy Turkey

Started by stillsmoking, November 30, 2008, 09:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsmoking

Couldn't stand it.  Thanksgiving was upon us and made the decision on the big day to go with the Bradley and the Big Easy for this year's bird.  First shot at a turkey in the Big Easy.  Got a very nicely shaped 15 pound young turkey.  Nothing special in the prep, just rubbed it up with olive oil, sprinkled some salt, pepper, onion powder and chili powder on the outside and into the smoker for two hours of maple/apple. 

Then into the Big Easy on high for two hours without the lid, 45 minutes with the lid on and looked what happened.

I have made a lot of turkeys through the years but I have to say this was probably the moistest most well cooked turkey I have done.  I slightly overcooked the turkey (about 165-170 internal temp) but it was still great white and dark meat.  More experimentation to come!

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Smoking Duck

Great looking bird, SS!  I can almost taste it from here.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Buck36

Stillsmoking,

I have been debating on getting the Big Easy but I have heard mixed reviews. Have you used an oil fryer before and if so how does the turkey compare?

Habanero Smoker

I have an electric turkey fryer. Both units produce moist turkeys. As for flavor and texture, I find it hard to compare the two. It's like comparing fried chicken with rotisserie chicken. Both are good, but different.

As far as use. The Big Easy if by far the winner in setup, and cleanup. There is no preheat time. You just fire it up and place your turkey in. Also you gain some versatility, in that you can cook multiple items at one time. You can remove the food, to add your favorite glaze or sauce and return it to finish cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

stillsmoking

Buck36, I have never owned a turkey fryer.  A friend has treated me to some good meals a few times but I never wanted the hassle with the oil.  My experience is with barbecues and smokers and have always prided myself on turning out a pretty fine turkey.  I would say that the turkeys I normally do probably have more flavor but this one was moister than any turkey I have done in the past.  I purposely went simple this time, no marinade or rub.  It was a Butterball turkey but other than that I didn't do much.  I will be experimenting with brines, marinades and rubs but the Big Easy will remain part of the routine.  Next time I will use more smoke and a little less time.  About two hours in the smoker and two and a half in the Big Easy was just slightly too much this time.  Outside temps in the 30's and 40's with a good breeze off and on.  45 minutes with the lid on was just about right for browning.  I have ran pork ribs and loins, whole chickens, wings, turkey and vegetables through this so far in combination with my Bradley or not and am very satisfied with all the results so far.

westexasmoker

Hey Buck,

I've used the BE and my good old oil fryer, comparatively for turkey they both turn out about the same IMHO.  But the BE is so much more versitale, just look at the good stuff SS is turning out!  I've kept my burner for doing shrimp/crab boils....I can't think the last time I actually pulled out the turkey pot!  Just my .02!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Kamanodental

Aloha everyone..
Hope everyone had a nice turkey day. Question? I smoked a  turkey for a friend today and I ran into a few problems..actually just one problem. The turkey was brined for 24 hrs set for 6 hrs (time constraints) I smoke it for 3 hrs at 230 and let it soak at 230 until the internal temp (at the thigh) was 160. OK great....now I checked the turkeys other leg at 163 fine.... Now I probed the breast and got a 140...is this turkey cooked? I read that the best place to put your probe is in the thickest part of the thigh. BTW it is a 16 lb'r. I thought the time was awfully fast to cook...6 hrs and it was finished. ( finished as far as the thigh was concerned)  I am putting the turkey in the oven to get the breast temp to 160...am I drying it out too much or where am I going wrong?

Any answer will be fine....Your kokua is appreciated
Kamano

Gizmo

Ordinarily I'd say the breast was still at a very cold temperature compared to the rest of the Turkey but from your post, it wouldn't seem like that could be it with a set for 6 hours.

Kamanodental

Hi Gizmo

Interesting...also I forgot to mention that I am using a PID and it is always 1-2 +/- and right on. I am guessing that the heat is closest to the door or wall. I will have to check the that temp. I did put a probe next to the door and it showed about 3-4 deg higher. I also turned the turkey b-f. My probe was about 3"s from the breast area of the turkey. The opening was 3/4. I will have to check the temps when I put in a fan.....

Aloha and thanks for your help.

Gizmo

There is some variation from front to back and top to bottom.  The fan will help there.  Would have been interesting to see what the raw bird temperature was at the two locations before putting in the smoker.  I had the same thing on my Turkey last weekend but I smoked in the Bradley and then convection oven for the rest.  My variation was due to not leaving it out of the fridge long enough as my fridge is on the very coldest side within the food safe zone.  I should have rinsed longer but I just kept the bird in the oven longer until the breast got to temp.  All the birds at the market were "enchanced" so moisture was not an issue.  I also used a beer bath below the roasting rack for some extra moisture. 

The Cajun smoked turkey and noodle soup I made from the carcus stock and leftovers was really good as well.  Opened the sinuses just a bit and a little sweat but that was mostly from the andouille sausage. 

Habanero Smoker

Aloha Kamano;

With whole poultry, I find that the breast generally cooks faster. Gizmo's reply sounds like the best reason. The reason to use the thigh as a guideline is because the dark meat has to get to at least 160°F or it will be tough, and for many it will have a metallic taste if under cooked. On the other hand, breast meat is best when taken to 150°F - 155°F.

Smoking/cooking at 230°F, your time could be right. Another possible reason could be where you are placing your probe. It is best to go between the breast and the leg to get to the thickest part of the thigh; making sure you are not touching the bone.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Buck36

Thanks for the input on the BE cooker. The hassle free clean up is a huge temptation!

bobbatt

We smoked two birds and on in the Big Easy. I have now cooked in TBE several times and there are a few things to watch. 1st sugar burns really easy so if your rub has sugar in it you might want to watch it. TBE cooks better if you start off with the lid on until whatever you are cooking gets as brown as you want it then remove the lid. The cooking speeds up when the lid is removed.