WTS does CB

Started by westexasmoker, November 30, 2008, 05:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 03, 2008, 02:32:02 PM
Adding the boiled cider to the cure turned out real good, my only regret was that I did not coat it with layer of more boiled cider before putting it in the smoker. I'm going to make another batch, because that was part of some gift packages I'm giving away.

I've never seen "boiled" cider, but then I live in Florida. I am to assume that the H2O content is reduced and it is more like a syrup ? Could this me made by boiling "regular" cider ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Fl --

I have only seen boiled cider sold at one place -- King Arthur Flour    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=1003

I usually just throw some cider in a pan and crank up the heat.  It gets syrup like when it reduces. 

I'm going to try it on my next batch of CB

Deb

Smoking Duck

I got some maple syrup yesterday......was gonna do two more loins with the syrup, but I think I may do one with the syrup and one with the cider.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Last nights dinner....Split biscuits drizziled with honey, fried egg, fried up Habs CB

Then covered with shredded cheese, some crumbled bacon and gravy made from the bacon drippings

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

WTS

Your killin' me at work again! I gotta quit lookin' at these!  :o

Looks absolutely awesome!   :P  :P  :P  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

Dang it WTS, there goes another keyboard from all the drooling I have been doing. That looks great!  ;D

NePaSmoKer

I gotta quit looking wts. i just gained a few lbs.

great

nepas

Smoking Duck

Sweet Sassy Mollassy!  That looks deeeeeeeeeeelicious!

SD

West Coast Sausage Maker

Quote from: La Quinta on November 30, 2008, 08:52:31 PM
I am running out of teabags on this guy...  ??? You simply can't do CB with mesquite...it's just a rule from above......only the hickory and any other wood (frankly) can bathe in Habs CB... can I have an AMEN?

WTS

You're offending me and my fellow countrymen  ;)

That beautifull looking bacon is in no way Canadian, using mesquite??!
Canadian bacon or bacon as we call it, is usually smoked with Maple. Other species are perfectly acceptable, not including mesquite.
Canadian Bacon is much like our national flag, done in maple.

why not call it Texas bacon ?  ???

just my 2 cents
soylent green is people

Habanero Smoker

Boiled cider is easy to make if you have time. This is my second season of boiling my own. You just need to reduce the cider 8:1. So one gallon boils downs to a pint; 1/2 gallon boils down to a cup; on quart boils down to 1/2 cup. Or you can boil it down by temperature, to 216°F which will make it the consistency a little thinner then maple syrup; which is about 7:1. As it boils down I skim the stuff off the surface when it gets dark brown, and also carefully remove the stuff that sticks to the side of the pan as the cider reduces. When finished I strain through a fine mesh strainer it into microwave proof container and store in the refrigerator. Or for self storage, can process it like you would jam/jelly.

If you reduce to far you will end up with jelly. If this happens just reheat it and add some apple cider to thin it, or leave it as jelly. Further then that you will burn it. Make sure you use a nonreactive pan. Start with the freshest cider you can get.

You will see recipes out there that state you can boil it down a quart in 30 minutes of so. The first time I did that I burnt it and had to throw it out. Now I boil at a low rolling boil, and when it begins to "spit" if reduce the heat more. Also if I am boiling down a gallon or so, I will start with a large 12" skillet. The larger open surface quickens the evaporation. When it gets to about 2 quarts I will pour it into a 2 quart sauce pan making sure to scrape the skillet as clean as possible. A gallon will take me about 5 hour to boil down. Note you should keep your hood vent on to draw the moisture out of the house. One other note, do not fill the pan no further then 3/4 full or you will have problems with it boiling over.

Deb;

I've been thinking, because it is tart if you give it a coat prior to placing it in the smoker, I would make it 50% maple syrup.

For curing, what I did was coat a 4.5 loin with about 2 tablespoons of boil cided, then applied the cure. This should also work great with slab bacon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 04, 2008, 02:17:18 PM

Deb;

I've been thinking, because it is tart if you give it a coat prior to placing it in the smoker, I would make it 50% maple syrup.

For curing, what I did was coat a 4.5 loin with about 2 tablespoons of boil cided, then applied the cure. This should also work great with slab bacon.

Habs,

Thanks,  I will try that.  I need to get some belly too.  We are amost out of CB & totally out of belly bacon.  I'll be getting busier workwise in Jan & have to get the freezer filled. 

When I looked at the King Arthur site this morning they also had a syrup that was 1/2 boiled cider & 1/2 maple syrup w/ cinnamon.  That sounds good for other things. 

Deb

Habanero Smoker

Hi Deb;

I purchase that about a year ago. That when I started making my own boiled cider, and for pancake I will mix mine with with maple syrup. Just google boiled cider recipes, you will be surprised what you can use it for.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokin Soon

This Bacon smoked this morning had the cheap syrup, a dallop of honey and granulated maple suger and it was as good as any i have made.

Smoking Duck

Looks great, SS!  I cannot find granulated maple sugar anywhere around here.

SD

Smokin Soon

I could not find it hear also. Easy to find on line. My package says "King Arthur Flour". Don't remember where I found it.