WTS does CB

Started by westexasmoker, November 30, 2008, 05:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 04, 2008, 03:12:10 PM
I could not find it hear also. Easy to find on line. My package says "King Arthur Flour". Don't remember where I found it.

SS - did you get it at Allied Kenco?  They  have King Arthur Flour's  maple sugar  and of course they also have it at King Arthur flour.

Deb

Habanero Smoker

I get mine from the Vermont Country Store. As it gets later in the season, they run out of it until farmers start tapping the trees in spring. The price has really gone up this year, but I purchase from this site, because I know it will be 100% maple. Occasionally if you find it cheaper it may be cut with sugar; so read the label carefully.

Ganulated Maple Sugar

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Thanks for the link guys........is it worth the $18.95 price tag?  I could buy a pork belly and maple syrup for that amount. :o

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

What happened to maple prices??? I believe I dd get mine from Allied Kenco,  but did not pay anywhere near that.  ???

LilSmoker

The bacon and eggs pic has done it for me! fantastic!
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Smokin Soon

Being out of work, and almost out of pure maple syrup, I might do a test loin with this poor mans substitute from about.com

Ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon maple extract or vanilla extract
Preparation:
Place granulated sugar in a heavy skillet. Heat until the sugar melts and turns brown.

Meanwhile, place brown sugar into a heavy saucepan. Pour water over brown sugar and bring to a boil without stirring.

Add caramelized white sugar to the melted brown sugar in the saucepan. Simmer, stirring often, until syrup is thickened.

Remove from heat, and whisk in butter and maple or vanilla extract.

Serve maple syrup substitute warm over pancakes, waffles, and biscuits.

Yield: about 1 cup
Gotta add my dallup of honey of course!

Smoking Duck

Let us know how that turns out, SS.  The price of maple syrup is outrageous, even if you have a job!

SD

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 05, 2008, 09:53:08 AM
What happened to maple prices??? I believe I dd get mine from Allied Kenco,  but did not pay anywhere near that.  ???

It has to be related to the fuel prices. It takes a lot of energy to boil sap down to maple syrup. Though fuel prices are now down, this sugar was probably produced in the spring.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

I've always wanted to go to a place that made maple syrup....now, I wanna go even more  ;)

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 05, 2008, 01:59:27 PM
I've always wanted to go to a place that made maple syrup....now, I wanna go even more  ;)

You would like it Duck.   My dad used to have a little sugarhouse.  It's kind of like smoking -- sitting around waiting/tending the fire/watching the temperature of the syrup.   It takes along time to turn sap into syrup.   

Deb

Smoking Duck

Dang, Deb, you really got me longing for the good old days.  I would imagine the smell around the sugarhouse would be just as good as around the smokehouse.  If I close my eyes, I can picture the smoke rising from the sugarhouse!

SD

jbollier

Hey WTS, Do you have to be from Canada to really enjoy CB? I bet some Canadians are flipping over in their graves thinking of Mesquite on their blessed bacon. I'm smoking some good old Texas Brisket on hickory as I wile away the time on this site and as soon as I am done here I will go add some mesquite for a while.

La Quinta

You just go with your bad self jb!!! I would skip the last step...but that's just me...  ;D