Home Cured Ham

Started by Tenpoint5, December 01, 2008, 04:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Figured I would give a Home Cured Ham a try. The Ham went in the smoker at 5 am for about a 20 hour ride.

Coming out of the brine after a 7 day soak. (The dark spot is where the plate rested)

All netted up and hanging in the smoker for 12hrs at 120*. Then will ramp up to 140* and smoke for 8.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

Just a quick update. The ham is at 107* IT after 12 hours. Fired up the burner and I am giving 8 hours of Hickory to the ham. Gonna be a long night. In hindsight I should have started this last night and finished this today, instead of finishing it at 2-3am.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

QuoteIn hindsight I should have started this last night and finished this today, instead of finishing it at 2-3am.

Yes but it will be worth it in the long run. Looks good.

La Quinta

I've always wanted to try a ham....it looks great. Can't wait to see how it comes out!!  :)

NePaSmoKer

Ahhhh 10.5 your my kind of guy  ;D

Awsome

nepas

FLBentRider

That is a nice looking Ham, even before smoke...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

HOME CURED HAMS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's been 24hours and my patience is wearing thin. The fricken ham has stalled at 141 for the last 4 hours and just won't go to 152-155*.

Ok, now that I have that off my chest. My garage smells so wonderful with the aroma of hickory smoke. The temp outside has dropped to 10 So the garage door was shut all the way, got kinda cloudy during the last 2 hours of smoking. The Ham is currently in a holding pattern at 141*, must be the beginning of a plateau. Because it has been in the 140-141 range since 3:30am. I kinda fell asleep for a couple of hours so the hold pattern is good. I am just glad the curing process keeps the bad stuff from forming after being at 160* for a looooooong time.

HCT

10., the ham looks great. Tell it to hurry up I'm looking forward to the taste test and final report. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

sherlock

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 02, 2008, 04:28:04 AM
I am just glad the curing process keeps the bad stuff from forming after being at 160* for a looooooong time.

Is 160 deg what you bumped the temp to after smoking for 8 hours?

Why did you start the smoke after the 12 hours at 120/140 deg instead of doing the smoking at the start?

Can't wait to see the results and to lust for a taste. I have installed a plastic cover over my keyboard to protect it from the drool.

Tenpoint5

OK, After 30 hours it has been determined that it was worth every single minute. This ham turned out simply orgasmic. Which is why I'm late posting , had to take a nap. LOL Anyhow after 30 hours and an IT of 153*, I opened the door and found this little beauty.

After removing the netting, this is the view of the coloring. Sorry it's blurry, was starting to drool.

I know, I know I should have let the Ham sit longer than 10 minutes before I sliced and tasted but after 30 hours of waiting. I couldn't take it anymore. Besides look at the pictures and tell me you would have left any of the pieces laying there. I ate them all and one more, I even ate the warm juicy FAT. I already had my blood draw for cholesterol at 8:30 this morning. Time to slpurg a little. LOL

westexasmoker

That my friend is a thing of beauty!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

After looking at that beauty, dont you wish you made two?  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Fantastic  ;D

On my list again for sure

great job

nepas

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Wildcat

Now that is a real nice job.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/