newbie temp question - heating element not working?

Started by saintnick912, December 02, 2008, 07:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saintnick912

hi,

Got my new Stainless in today, and started the seasoning process.  I had to cut it short, it was getting too smoky on my open porch due to unfavorable winds.  I waited the 10 minutes like it says in the manual, with the heat slider around half and the vent around half open, and when I came back out the temperature was only reading at around 80-90F in the door thermometer. 

Is it normal for it to take longer to reach temperature, or is this a potential problem with my heating element?  I'll have to wait a couple of days before I have a chance to test it further outside, just wondering if anyone had an experience like this.

thanks

NePaSmoKer

Welcome saintnick

wind and cold can make temps come up slow. Move your slider all the way to the right on your next season attempt and the vent open half.

nepas

saintnick912

Thanks, it was somewhat windy out and the temperature outside was around 45 degrees F.  I'll try again with the slider further over.

I appreciate the quick reply, and all the good info on this board.  I felt confident buying a Bradley with you all here.

pensrock

Also after the slider is turned on open the door after 10-15 minutes and see if the heating element is turning red.

Dex

Make sure your power light on the smoker box part is on. When I started to season mine, I noticed I couldnt get the temp very high. Its because the power cord wasnt plugged all the way in on the box. for some reason I have to bump it just a bit to get that just right connection