Second cold smoke of cheese in Florida

Started by sherlock, December 15, 2008, 04:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Last cold snap did not materialize. This week end temp was to be 43 deg Sat morning. Had everything ready. At 3:30 AM I took the cheese out of fridge and let set until 4:30. Popped in the smoker with 9 apple pucks and a bowl of ice, (ambient temp 42 deg). After the first hour I was fighting the temp. It climbed up to the low 80's, ambient temp 47 deg). I put more ice in the bowl and filled the bowl tray with ice. This worked for a while. Temp stayed around 78 deg. for about 1/2 hour and started climbing again. Dumped water from tray and added more ice. Hour three became increasingly difficult, (ambient temp 54 deg. More ice and cracked the door open about 3/4". Temp got up to 87 deg for a very short time while but I opened the door and let it cool off for about five minutes but cheese never sweated. Ambient temp when I finished smoking, (7:30 AM) was 57 deg. Color looks good. Smells great.

Smoked six pounds.

two pounds Cabot aged extra sharp (cut into four pieces)
two pounds Cabot aged sharp (cut into four pieces)
one pound Cabot Monteray Jack (cut into two pieces)
one pound Cabot Pepper Jack. (cut into two pieces)

After smoking, I let it sit for about one hour and then vac sealed it.

Assuming it is going to be good, my biggest problem is waiting for it to cure ten days. I am dying to try it. I only ever had smoked cheese once. It was some store bought smoked guyere, ( not sure of spelling), and I did not like it. hope mine tastes better.

If it is good, I might try a cardboard box "cold smoker"

AND I must get a digital camera.
:)

pensrock

I would say out of a Bradley ten days is the minimum I would allow it to mellow. For some reason when I do cheese in my old home made smoker I can eat it after five days. But the smoke seems much more concentrated when using a puck burner vs the hot plate in my old set up. But it always turns out good either way I do it. I also get more color on the old smoker but they taste about the same after time.

sherlock

Should I have waited longer to vac seal to allow some mellowing before sealing?

manxman

QuoteShould I have waited longer to vac seal to allow some mellowing before sealing

I have started to let my cheese just sit on the wire racks uncovered in the fridge for 12 - 18 hours before vacuum sealing even if it does not appear to have "sweated", I have noticed on occasions that if I vacuum seal almost straight from the BS then a bit a liquid tends to accumulate inside the bag which would increase the chance of bacterial contamination and mould plus it doesn't look particularly nice.  :)

Leaving it that bit longer gives the cheese a bit of time to air dry even if the moisture isn't always apparent, it doesn't affect the taste but may improve the appearance.
Manxman

sherlock

Thx
I will chec some tonight for moisture build up.

wood6352

I know how hard it is to keep the temp low in Florida.... I live in Panama City and love a good smoked cheese with my homemade elk summer sausage. This is how I solved my problems after a big cheese disaster earlier this year. I came up with a soldering iron in a can smoker that gives me all the smoke I need without a fraction of the heat. I crush up 2-3 apple pucks for the smoke and I still use ice in a pan under the cheese. Today I smoked some cheese outside temp was 78 degrees and i maintained a 60-65 degree temp in the box.(I don't use any heat source except from the soldering iron.) Maybe the following pics with help my expanatioin.  Good luck with your cheese.

pensrock

QuoteShould I have waited longer to vac seal to allow some mellowing before sealing?

As long as it was dry, I have seen no differance if it was vac sealed or wrapped in plastic wrap till ready to be eaten.

sherlock

It was definitely dry so I will wait with baited breath for Christmas. That will be 12 days. ;D

pensrock

I know its difficult to wait but just remember, the longer it sits..... the better it gets.