Slider question

Started by csakis, December 12, 2008, 09:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csakis

I am really excited I am doing my first smoking tonight. I chose pork butt because it is one of the easiest and I have never had pulled pork before. Here is what i did:
I preheated the OBS as much as I could it went up to almost 250 F.
I started smoking at 6:00 pm. I use a 10 lb pork butt and I also put in some pork hocks (~ 3 lb). The temperature of the smoker recovered quite slowly. It is almost 11:00 pm now and the smoker is at 205 F . It has been there for an hour now. The meat is at 150 F. I am about to call it a day and would like to get some sleep. However, I am not sure where I should leave the temperature slider. It has been on full heat all evening. The outside temperature is 32 F. Shall I leave the slider all the way to the right there or pull it on the middle? I was planning to wake up every 3 hours to check on the temperatures. Is that ok? I want to finish the cooking when the meat reaches 190 F. Any help would be appreciated.
csaba

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Csaba
If you are finished smoking your pork you can always transfer it to your oven to finish.

If you want to finish it in the smoker i would leave the slider all the way to the right and getup every 3 hrs to check it should be ok until the core temp gets closer to the 190 that you want then you might have to get up more often.

csakis

I think I will take your advice and transfer the pork butt into my oven and my butt to bed. I insert the probe into the pork and I could even hear it when it reaches 190F, so i don't need to wake up every 3 hours.
Thanks for the advice.
csaba

Smokin Soon

Once again,  *Very Happy* to have Bradley participation   ;D :D

Habanero Smoker

Csaba;

When you have some time do a search for "over night smoke" and narrow the search to forum member icerat4. He has specific instructions of doing an over night smoke without any temperature controls.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) PR on December 12, 2008, 10:16:44 PM
Hi Csaba
If you are finished smoking your pork you can always transfer it to your oven to finish.

If you want to finish it in the smoker i would leave the slider all the way to the right and getup every 3 hrs to check it should be ok until the core temp gets closer to the 190 that you want then you might have to get up more often.

The beauty of a owning a Bradley is not having to get up every three hours.  Of course, a remote temperature thermometer with alarm helps this cause greatly  ;D.

I agree with SS..........I love seeing the Bradley Head Honchos on here.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra