white chili with smoked chicken.

Started by SMOKEHOUSE ROB, December 29, 2004, 03:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

I dug this out from my privet stash , here is a great recipe to use smoked chicken breast with. this is a white chili and the color will be white but the taste is fantastic. put this recipe away for a potluck or a party, you will be the hit of the party. you can twek this abit, i use peper jack insted of monterey jack cheese.  

White Chili

3 16 oz cans Great WHITE Northern beans
4 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic clove, minced
2 4 oz cans mild green chilies
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 cups chicken stock or canned broth
3 cups Monterey jack cheese, grated
sour cream

Cut chicken breasts into cubes.
 Heat oil in  pot
over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until
translucent. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano
and cayenne. Sauté for about 2 minutes. Add undrained
beans and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and
add chicken and cheese to chili. Stir until cheese
melts. Season to taste. Garnish with sour cream.
Servings: 12

JJC

Yuhhmmmeee!  Sounds delectable . . . will give it a try sometime soon!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

Hay Rob maybe you can smoke those onions first, maybe the chicken a little.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

MallardWacker you can try to smoke the onions first , but i think once you add the cumin it will over power the smoked onions and you wont be able to tell.  the chicken is the last thing to go in and there is where you will taste the smoke,  whenever you do a load of meat add about 3 to 4 breast . put it in the fridge or freeze it untill you are ready to make this white chili, its is a easy dish and under 30 min, dinner is ready,

MallardWacker

Rob,

The wife and are getting into anything with a smoke chicken breast in it.  Did some smoked chicken breast salad sandwiches last friay night for a party.  I thought it would probably be the last to go, just because there were ribs  and other more tantilizing things than just plain snadwiches.  Hay, there were only two left out a large platter full.  The baked ribs were still there, nearly the whole dish was still full.  This recipe sound great...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

[:p]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cold Smoke

Smokehouse Rob- was hoping to prepare your white chili recipe tonite with some leftoevr smoked chicken breasts- what are great northern beans? Are they some kind of white kidney beans? I also can't locate mild green chilies- but  do have access to jalapenos- would that be a suitable substitute?

BTW- Sounds yummy- can't wait to try it. With a beer on the side of course.[;)]

Thanks!

Cold Smoke

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />Smokehouse Rob- was hoping to prepare your white chili recipe tonite with some leftoevr smoked chicken breasts- what are great northern beans? Are they some kind of white kidney beans? I also can't locate mild green chilies- but  do have access to jalapenos- would that be a suitable substitute?

BTW- Sounds yummy- can't wait to try it. With a beer on the side of course.[;)]

Thanks!

Cold Smoke
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Great white northern bean is just a white bean its a cross between a kidney and a pinto i guess, LOL just look for a white bean thats in a can , green chilies will be where the mexican food is in your store made by ortaga, they come in a small can like the small cans of olives, jalapinos would work.

bsolomon

Canned great northern beans can be substituted with canned canellini beans, which are also known as white kidney beans.  You should be able to find mild green chiles in any grocery store aisle where they keep the mexican foods - usually on the shelf near the salsas. Canned jalepenos will be hotter than the mild green chiles (and fresh jalepenos will be much hotter).  If I had to substitute on these, I would suggest probably a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of green bell peppers to jalepenos, unless you like your chile particulary hot.

Cold Smoke

Perfect! I'm all set- got some white kidneys and canned jalapenos- these are always on my grocery list. And frosties in the fridge!

Thanks, Gents!

Cold Smoke

Chez Bubba

CS,

You won't know until tomorrow if ya really done it right![;)][:D][:D]

Enjoy!

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

Cold Smoke how did the white chili come out?

Cold Smoke

Smokehouse Rob's white chili recipe rates "Grand Slam" in my books![:D][:D] I finally found the green chilies (I also added one large pickled jalapeno) [:p]. I got up this morning and got to work on this recipe finally- the project got delayed a few days.[V] It's been simmering for a couple of hours and I couldn't resist- Delicious!

Thanks for sharing that one SR! Keep them coming...

Cold Smoke

Oldman

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

I've added this to the chicken section of the project. Thanks~~!
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Rob,
I made a batch of White Chili this weekend. I liked it, and will make a larger batch for a Super Bowl party. I just started adding epazote to my chili, and bean dishes, so I will have to eliminate the oregano the next time I make it. Epazote is an herb that is suppose to relieve or eliminate the gastric problems beans create. It appears to be working [:D], though others say it has no effect. I do like the flavor, so I will continue to use it. Also, I'm going to use dark meat instead.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)