Anti-Caking Ingredient....

Started by Mr Walleye, December 07, 2008, 09:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

I'm just curious if anybody has thought about using an anti-caking ingredient in their rubs or as an example, in Habs Basic Cure recipe. I've mixed batches of the basic cure before but have had to throw it out because it has turned into a solid block even though it was in an air tight container. I was doing a little research on it and the following is a good description of it. I was wondering if anyone nows where it is available?

Anti-caking agent
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Anti-caking agents are used in such things as table salt to keep the product from forming lumps, making it better for packaging, transport, and for the consumer.

An anti-caking agent in salt is denoted in the ingredients for example as "anti-caking agent (554)", which is sodium aluminosilicate, a man-made product. This product is present in many commercial table salts as well as dried milks, egg mixes, sugar products, and flours. In Europe, sodium ferrocyanide (535) and potassium ferrocyanide (536) are more common anti-caking agents in table salt. Natural anti-caking agents used in more expensive table salt include calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.

Some anti-caking agents are soluble in water, others are soluble in alcohols or other organic solvents. They function either by adsorbing excess moisture or by coating particles and making them water repellent. Calcium silicate (CaSiO3), a commonly used anti-caking agent, added to e.g. table salt, adsorbs both water and oil.

Anti-caking agents are also used in non-food items such as road salt, fertilizers and cosmetics, and in manufacturing applications.

List of anti-caking agents
The following anti-caking agents are listed in order by their E number.

E500 Sodium bicarbonate
E535 Sodium ferrocyanide
E536 Potassium ferrocyanide
E538 Calcium ferrocyanide
E542 Bone phosphate
E550 Sodium silicate
E551 Silicon dioxide
E552 Calcium silicate
E553a Magnesium trisilicate
E553b Talcum powder
E554 Sodium aluminosilicate
E555 Potassium aluminium silicate
E556 Calcium aluminosilicate
E558 Bentonite
E559 Aluminium silicate
E570 Stearic acid
E900 Polydimethylsiloxane
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticaking_agent"

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

Might want to try the sodium bicarb, It's just good old fashioned Arm & Hammer baking soda.

Smokin Soon

Tenpoint5

I kinda like the "K.I.S.S." principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). Remember going to Grandma's house and she always had a few pieces of rice in the salt shaker? It naturally absorbed the moisture to keep the salt from caking. Sooooo why not just wrap some rice in cheese cloth and throw it in the container to keep it dry. Or if the cure is drying out and caking just put a slice of bread in the container over night like you do with cookies to moisten them up.

Ok I haven't had the problem of a cure or a rub caking up on me I'm just shooting from the hip here with a couple of suggestions.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

Yeah, rice! In tropical climates they always keep rice in the salt shakers. I forgot about that. It does work.

Mr Walleye

Thanks guys

I hadn't thought about rice  ::)

I may give the baking soda idea more thought too..

Mike

Wildcat

Rice does work - also a plain old saltine cracker works well also.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Let me know how your research goes.

I make somewhat large batches and don't have any problem with hard caking. I use an empty Maple Ham Cure container that I got from Sausage Makers, and it does a good job keeping my ingredients dry. Occasionally I will get a few lumps, but they easily break apart under slight pressure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

I was reading the Food & Drug Regulations (Canadian) and found only two that can be used in dry cures.

Calcium Phosphate Tribasic

Calcium Silicate

Mike

Piker

what can you do if it is already hard as a rock. It is in a sealed plastic bag basically in one lump. It is a ham and bacon dry rub. I have a ceramic thing that you soak in water and put it in sugar container, takes awhile but it works. I have also heard of using apple slices or bread. Any further ideas? thks Dave

Smokin Soon

If it's already in a clump, just pop it into the micro for a minute or so. It will come back.

Gizmo

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 07, 2008, 10:37:20 AM
Also might look at these little thingies.
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2744

I have those and they will not prevent caking, at least not with some of the rubs I put together.  I have some right now that is rock hard and I have 3 of the oxygen absorbers in a Foodsaver Vac Packed canister.  I was able to get the rub out of the canister and break it up to small enough pieces to run through the spice grinder to make it usable again.  Moisture absorbers may work better.  When I bought the oxygen absorbers, I thought I was getting the moisture absorbers.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

If it were plain salt, then moisturizing, and/or using the microwave would be fine. But my understanding is if sodium nitrite is effected by moisture during storage and the mixture turns hard, it is best to discard it. Some of the chemical properties may have broken down. Also high temperature will alter the chemical make up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sherlock

Like Gizmo, I just throw any that have caked up in my spice grinder. Like new again. Works fine.

Nathan