OBS on order - new member

Started by jeff_smoke, December 08, 2008, 07:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff_smoke

Hi folks,
    first post - howdy...nice web site.
It's probably noteworthy to tell you all that I did a lot of research on
various smokers over the weekend to make a purchase decision.
     THEN BELOW ALL THIS BABBLE, I ACTUALLY HAVE A QUESTION.   :)
The struggle to decide...
It was either one of the Bradleys or the WSM. Both got great reviews. It was a struggle down to the final moment of order.
My decision came down to these personal preferences:
1. I don't want to tend the smoker like I've had to in the past (every 20 to 30 minutes
stoking the fire or adding wood). Current unit is an old Brinkman barrel type with firebox on the side.
2. I wanted to be able to run the unit on my deck without worrying too much about burning the
house down. Although I have read on your forum that I need to be sure to keep the vent open
and the unit clean (trays, etc) to help reduce risk of fire due to potential grease or moisture buildup.
3. Wanted to be able to run the unit overnight for a long-run pork butt or similar with the above noted
caviats about keeping the unit safe.
4. The questions that kept going through my mind were :
1. cost of bisquettes vs cost of charcoal vs convenience; I finally rationalized that the extra cost of bisquettes was not an issue because I'm a convenience kind of guy at this point and I don't expect to be smoking stuff every other weekend. Now if the food comes out tasting as good as your forum suggests, then maybe that will change. The WSM users all say to buy one of those chimney starters. That got me thinking about the hassle of charcoal and how my last chimney starter sort of melted halfway into a big smoke using my brinkman. One of the rivets on the handle overheated and popped off (thankfully the bottom one, but it still was yet another charcoal hassle).
2. While I've read the WSM can run unattended for the long periods I sometimes require, will the wind possibly blow it out while I'm not vigilantly tending it. I don't think that would maybe happen very often, but it has happened with my brinkman. Sometimes the charcoal I had in my garage was not completely fresh and maybe had some humidity in the briquetts and therefore harder to start and harder to keep going. So, this could be a valid issue in my humid environment (Savannah, GA).
3. Will a gust of wind blow over the WSM while it's lit up on my deck. Probably not because I've heard it's relatively heavy and pretty stable, but it is tall and skinny and it could happen.
4. On the pro side of the WSM, will our bunny eat the power cord on the Bradley? If she gets to it she will. She hangs out on our deck quite a bit. Sounds wierd but it is something I have to deal with. Anyway, it occured to me that I'd be unplugging the unit after each use anyway. I'll find a way to hide it from her.
5. cost comparison - WSM is about $80 cheaper. I actually wanted the digital Bradley but I was trying to keep my wife at bay, so settled for the OBS.
6. Flavor issue. Sorry guys but I'm not yet convinced about the "bisquettes burn cleaner" thing (to make any appreciable or noticeable difference). I'm certainly no expert, but that sounds like marketing to me. Hey, maybe I'll prove myself wrong; who knows. And, the smoke ring issue. Neither the OBS or WSM make much of a ring if any, but I read enough about the NO2 factor to finally understand it does not affect the flavor. I read that I can get that effect by using Morton's Tender Quick.
So, that's about it.
WSM with cover and tons of bisquettes on order.   ;D
    NOW MY QUESTION; if anyone is still awake -
* I want to cook something good for Christmas Eve dinner (six adults). My Mom will be making a turkey for Christmas day, so turkey is out. I know there's lots of Bradley recipes. But, I thought I'd just ask folks what is a really kickin recipe they like that I could start with?
Thanks.
-- Jeff

NePaSmoKer

Hi jeff and welcome to the forum.

Your purchase of a Bradley smoke is in the right direction for home smokers. You wont be babysitting it like you would be  a wood, charcoal or gas smoker. However you will still need to rotate the racks which is no biggie.

I have my BS on the deck, under the gazebo and in the garage. Yes you must keep the vent open atleast 1/4 way or full open. Never close it when smoking because of moisture wil leak out the bottom of the door and backup into the smoke generator which will cause a failure.

I clean my racks, water bowl and v-tray in the dishwasher and leave the inside of the smoker alone to get crusty (it smokes better)
Always use your v-tray in the proper position and dont cover it with foil, you need the vents on the v-tray open.

Use water in your pan all the time unless your doing jerky. With jerky you want it to be a dry smoke.

Bisquettes vs charcoal  ???  ??? i would say prob around the same price unless you buy cheapo charcoal. The wood burns clean and you wont have a stokin smoke flume like other smokers. All in all the Bradley is top of the line. I have had many kinds of smokers and the Bradley is the best.

Your reading has you on the money in alot of ways. As far as smoking something foe christmas, chicken is a good starter and easy.

Whatever BS you get you wont be dissapointed.

Hope this helps some

nepas

jeff_smoke

Thanks nepas,
     I was considering running it from the garage since I could open up some double doors
on the side of the garage. I think the unit would be better protected, but I'm wondering if I'll
turn my garage into smoke-house smell. Probably so, I guess.
     I've read that sometimes folks retrofit a larger water pan in some smokers. Wondering if
you all have heard of any successful larger water trays that would last longer and not mess
up the unit.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: jeff_smoke on December 08, 2008, 08:36:08 AM
Thanks nepas,
     I was considering running it from the garage since I could open up some double doors
on the side of the garage. I think the unit would be better protected, but I'm wondering if I'll
turn my garage into smoke-house smell. Probably so, I guess.
     I've read that sometimes folks retrofit a larger water pan in some smokers. Wondering if
you all have heard of any successful larger water trays that would last longer and not mess
up the unit.

My garage does not smell like smoke, also mine is not drywalled yet and i do open the door some. Some have used larger pans, i have a few times like a square foil pan.

nepas

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Jeff!

I've used a disposable foil tray in place of the water bowl, many a time and they work very well!  Smoke house smell in the garage is just a side benefit!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

jeff_smoke

Good info guys, thanks !
    See; now you all got me thinking about making a closed in smoking area
where those double doors are...a sort of mini-smokehouse.   :)
-- Jeff

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jeff_smoke on December 08, 2008, 09:01:40 AM
Good info guys, thanks !
    See; now you all got me thinking about making a closed in smoking area
where those double doors are...a sort of mini-smokehouse.   :)
-- Jeff

Naaahh just let the whole garage smell good!! My wife will ask when I'm smoking again when the garage doesnt smell like Hickory anymore during the summer. During the winter it always smells like hickory.

I have a question for you. I noticed that you have the "WSM, a cover, and tons of bisquettes on order" Why the cover and bisquettes for a WSM? OOOOOOPPSS!!!!! LOL
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jeff_smoke

Good catch there Tenpoint -  ;D
   Ok, let's try that again.
* Bradley Original Smoker, Black
* Bradley All Weather Cover 4 Rack
* Bradley Oak Bisquettes 48 pack
* Bradley 5 Flavor Varity 60 pack
* Bradley Mesquite Bisquettes 48 pack
* Jim Beam Smoking Bisquettes 48 pack
Anybody tried the Jim Beam yet? Didn't actually see it on the Bradley site.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: jeff_smoke on December 08, 2008, 10:54:25 AM
Good catch there Tenpoint -  ;D
   Ok, let's try that again.
* Bradley Original Smoker, Black
* Bradley All Weather Cover 4 Rack
* Bradley Oak Bisquettes 48 pack
* Bradley 5 Flavor Varity 60 pack
* Bradley Mesquite Bisquettes 48 pack
* Jim Beam Smoking Bisquettes 48 pack
Anybody tried the Jim Beam yet? Didn't actually see it on the Bradley site.

And a pork butt, briskit, chicken and dont forget the fattys  ;D

nepas

manderso

My favorite of everything I have done so far is the Beef Rib/Ribeye Roast.  Absolutely the best prime rib you have ever had, and it only takes a few hours (~4) to get the IT to 135*.  It will be a big hit on Christmas.  I'll be doing one!

pensrock

If you are going to have turkey for xmas then maybe some appitizers?
ABT's - stuffed, smoked jalapenos
Fatties - seasoned, stuffed beef or pork
Pistachios - smoked, you can never make enough of these babys
Cheese - most any kind smoked

Good luck,
pens

jeff_smoke

Standing Rib Roast sounds like a really good Christmas Eve project. I'm researching recipes. Thanks.
      Pens, it's interesting how many people use smokers for cold smoking
cheese and nuts. I was surprised about that. I'm thinking there must be something special about
doing it yourself vs buying store bought smoked cheese or nuts.
Do they come out fresher tasting or something?

jeff_smoke

I was also just reading posts from a couple other new members and I checked out the ET-73.
Looks like a must have for me. Checks both meat and internal smoker temperature and is a remote? Wow, sounds great.
I also need to get some of those fake bisquettes. Recommendations ?
I'm also wondering why Bradley has not addressed this obvious need for their products.
I guess they could say that it's already been addressed by 3rd parties, but it seems
like those should come with the unit by default; not an add-on.

manxman

QuoteI'm thinking there must be something special about
doing it yourself vs buying store bought smoked cheese or nuts.
Do they come out fresher tasting or something?

With store bought smoked cheese for example you are stuck with the amount of smoke they put on it which is designed for "Mr Average" and may even be liquid smoke........ doing it yourself means you can smoke the cheese you like to the smoke taste you want!  ;) :D
Manxman

jeff_smoke

Thanks Manxman for the explain.
I guess you're either another early bird like me, or it's pretty late for you depending on time zone.   :)
I just ordered the ET-73 and I just realized that I also ordered quantity 1 of the bubba pucks thinking
"pucks" plural meant the required 3 pucks. So, I had to place a separate order for the other two. Uhhhh.
Anyway; it's nice that you can get both at yardandpool.com. But, their description should be Bubba Puck (singular),
or they should just have the required three pack. imho.