Cold Smoking Cheese

Started by dbrown, December 26, 2004, 09:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder Fish

Smoked cheese is easy and Mmmmmmmmmmm..........The key is to wrap it for AT LEAST 2 day's for the flavor.I did 3lbs mild cheddar 1lb Mozza for 2 1/2 hrs on the bottom rack with apple cherry pecan.I also placed ice in the catch bowl with a frozen 2 liter(1/2 gal) jug above the cheese carefull not to let condensation drip on the cheese.
 Internal probe after that time was 74-76ish and the cheddar sweated about 1/4 teaspoon of oil on the V tray,no sweat of the mozza(my fave).
 Outside temp around 9 Celsus I would strongly recomend you try smoking cheese..........ENJOY>>>>>>>>>>>
Terry

JJC

Thanks for the tip on mozarella, Terry--I'm going to give that a try.  Can you be a bit more specific about the apple/cherry/pecan you mention?  Was it 2 of each, what order, etc.?  Also, was the mozzarella "fresh", skim-milk, full milk, etc.?  Thanks!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Thunder Fish

John I believe(pretty sure) it was full milk(was looking for high fat) and I just did 1 cherry 1 pecan 1 apple than repeat going to do a "full" load on Tues evening everyone that tried it loved the cheese so I will be doing a fair bit then,will post results with weight's,time and pucks
Enjoy .....Terry

JJC

Thanks, Terry--I'll wait for your post to try more cheese, "just in case" [8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Thunder Fish

5 lb mild cheedar/5 lb mozza (full fat) starting with 1 Hick with alternating 3 cherry/3 pecan for "hopefully" 2 1/2 hrs.Only 1 hr to go,will post results next week as both are leaving for the flat lands Thursday night(aka Alberta)and they will not be ready for tasteing until then.
Internal temp now is 62ish F .............
Terry

Thunder Fish

The cheese was great!!!!!! by Saturday.It is very important to keep it it tightley wrapped as some parcels came un-done and the smoke flavour was STRONG [xx(]
 Myself,the next time will cut the smoke back to 2 hrs,again the internal temp when pulled after 2 1/2 hrs was 76 ish YOU ALL MUST TRY SMOKING CHEESE ! ! !
[:p] [:p] [:p] [:p] [:p] [:p] [^] [^] [^]
Terry

Phone Guy

My Wife took some Smoked Chedder up to her folks. I talked to her Father today and he loved the cheese. He also liked the bacon. He said it was more like ham. Thats not bad for the first batch. I'm pleased.