Under Pressure!! Beef Jerky Recipe???

Started by 6rack, December 09, 2008, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6rack

This a great forum for us newbies!!  I have used my new DBS 6 rack twice......pork ribs, turkey breast, beef roast and a whole chicken. Yea I know... that's a lot in two tries, but I have to fill those racks!!!
Everything turned out good.  I think I succumbed to the rookie mistakes....too much smoke and little too long cooking. I will back off on those.  Unfortunately it has been -7C% to -11 C% both times, so keeping the heat consistent was a problem, especially when it was windy.

I am under pressure now from the mother in-law. She wants some beef jerky to take on her annual "snowbird" trip to Florida this winter to share with her friends.  Is there a standard process /recipe for making up a batch of beef jerky that will guarantee me a pleasant reunion with her next spring ????

Thanks

Steve

westexasmoker

Nepas makes some killer jerky...I'm sure he'll be along shortly!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

sherlock

High Mountain makes some excellent spice blends that are darn near impossible to screw up. I perfer the "Original" blend but they have quite a variety to choose from.

You simply slice your raw meat in 1/4" slices, weigh the meat you have sliced, sprinkle both sides of your meat with the appropropriate amount of spice for the weight of your sliced meat, allow it to cure for 24 hours in a closed container in the fridge,  smoke for 2 hours at 200-220 deg, ( 6 biscuits), ( I use oak), then either continue at that temperature until the jerky passes your feel right test. This will take another 4 to 6 hours. Or if you have a dehyrator, put it it there after the 2 hours of smoke.

High Mountain proves good directions so you should be ok.

Thats the way I do it and I am sticking to it.

Someone else will come along and give you are the help you want. You may even get some offers to taste test it for you
Nathan

NePaSmoKer

Hi 6rack

what kind of jerky are you wanting to do?

I can give you some marinades that use ingredients you prob have in your kitchen.

You have a smoker, do you have a dehydrator also? I use 4 to 6 wood pucks only. The temp i start at is 155* After the wood has smoked off i bump the heat to 175/180*  being careful not to snap out the jerky, you want it bendable. If you have a dehydrator put the jerky in it after the smoke is done. Remember to pre heat your smoker and dehydrator before you add the racks of jerky.

As far as cure goes i dont use it much. Cure is needed for temps of 140* and below or if your dehydrator dont have higher settings. Vent must be full open and no water in the pan.

Alot of forum members use High Mountain, I dont for various reasons. I'm sure you will get lots of tips from great forum members here.

enjoy

nepas

FLBentRider

I use Hi Mountain, I appl a few pucks of smoke then into the convection oven to dry.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

Here is a basic teriyaki jerky marinade.

1 cup teritaki sauce
1 teasp minced garlic
1/2 t salt
1/8 to 1/4 t cure (opt)
1/2 t liquid smoke (opt)
1 lb meat strips

Mix all ingredients (except strips) together, let stand for 30 mins for mix to blend. Add strips to marinade refridge for 1 to 12 hrs in a plastic container. (if you have a Reveo it only takes 20 mins)

Remove from marinade, drain, place on racks and smoke or dehydrate until meat is bendable. This can take anywhere from 6 to 12 hours.

nepas

T= Tablespoon
t= teaspoon

6rack

Thank you everyone for your suggestons. I have a better idea of what to do.  The best way to find out is go for it and see what happens.

Nepas;

I was going use a beef round roast..start off easy... all I have is the smoker,no dehydrator...
I will try your recipe and let you know what the outcome is.
I would like to use my own recipes as far as rubs/marinates....not into the store bought stuff...yet.
Thanks

Steve

Tenpoint5

Quote from: 6rack on December 10, 2008, 07:19:48 AM
  The best way to find out is go for it and see what happens.

Steve

Steve you have it figured out, just dive right in. Besides Nepas does make some pretty good looking jerky. The saying I like to use is "Even our mistakes still taste good". Besides that. Who gets along with their MIL all the time anyhow? LOL
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caribou

I'm very new to smoking, but I have say I've had very good luck with the Hi Mountain original jerky seasoning, too.
Made me look like a pro first time around!  But I do want to branch out and try some of the recipes mentioned...got to take my training wheels off at some point!
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caribou on December 11, 2008, 05:30:12 AM
I'm very new to smoking, but I have say I've had very good luck with the Hi Mountain original jerky seasoning, too.
Made me look like a pro first time around!  But I do want to branch out and try some of the recipes mentioned...got to take my training wheels off at some point!
Carolyn

Take them wheels off and gun it  ;D

nepas

AggieBQ72

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 09, 2008, 05:57:24 PM

1 cup teritaki sauce
1 teasp minced garlic
1/2 t salt
1/8 to 1/4 t cure (opt)
1/2 t liquid smoke (opt)
1 lb meat strips

Mix all ingredients (except strips) together, let stand for 30 mins for mix to blend. Add strips to marinade refridge for 1 to 12 hrs in a plastic container. (if you have a Reveo it only takes 20 mins)

Remove from marinade, drain, place on racks and smoke or dehydrate until meat is bendable. This can take anywhere from 6 to 12 hours.

nepas

T= Tablespoon
t= teaspoon

If you are using hamburger meat instead of the meat strips, how is the best way to roll it out and how thick?  I saw a gizmo at Bass Pro that looked like a caulking gun that spread it out but before jumping for that I thought I'd ask the pros!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: AggieBQ72 on December 15, 2008, 05:11:19 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 09, 2008, 05:57:24 PM

1 cup teritaki sauce
1 teasp minced garlic
1/2 t salt
1/8 to 1/4 t cure (opt)
1/2 t liquid smoke (opt)
1 lb meat strips

nepas

T= Tablespoon
t= teaspoon

If you are using hamburger meat instead of the meat strips, how is the best way to roll it out and how thick?  I saw a gizmo at Bass Pro that looked like a caulking gun that spread it out but before jumping for that I thought I'd ask the pros!

Just cut the teriyaki to 1/2 to 3/4 cup for 5 lbs of gb. yes the gizmo you seen is for extruding gb for jerky.

nepas

Gizmo

Quote from: AggieBQ72 on December 15, 2008, 05:11:19 PM
  I saw a gizmo at Bass Pro that looked like a caulking gun that spread it out but before jumping for that I thought I'd ask the pros!

No it wasn't me. I haven't been in a Bass Pro shop in years.  Honest.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

I have a jerky shooter and it works well. I never had a problem with gnd meat jerky coming out.
I even use it to stuff ABT's as long as the filling is not too thick. If it is too thick I nuke it to loosen it up and it works great. You can get these almost any where.

BTW, I never seen Gizmo at BPS either.  ;D