Started by 6rack, December 09, 2008, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

FLBentRider

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 16, 2008, 07:18:46 AM
Bass Pro Shop?

Whats that  :D

nepas

That is all we have in the South... Although now we have a Gander Mtn.

I would rather have a Cabelas.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brisket Lover

Would parchment paper work in a pinch if I dont feel like waiting for jerky screens to show up?  If not any other suggestions?

Doctor Woody

There are many ways to make jerky, but I settled in on what I believe to be one of the best ways.  The meat I use makes it kind of expensive, but well worth it.

Use a good quality Choice Flank Steak (cut WITH the grain about 1/3 inch thick).  You won't need jerky screens either.

Use whatever salty wet brine you want and brine it overnight.  I always use soy sauce in my brine.

Follow a typical smoking recipe and take the jerky out of the smoker when the meat still gives a little when you poke it with your finger.  Remember, it will firm up even more after it cools.  I keep mine in the refrigerator.

I've been using flank steak for a while now.  Funny thing...  I was watching Alton Brown (Food TV guy).  He was going over the different types of beef you could use to make jerky.  He picked flank steak as the very best type of meat to use.

Try it.  You won't be disappointed.

FLBentRider

I went down the flank steak road. I bought a cryovac pack of them @ Sams. The quality was not what I expected. The meat was hard to work with compared to round. I buy round now, partially freeze and cut against the grain.

The flank was ok, but our family likes the round better. To each their own.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Doctor Woody

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 13, 2009, 04:56:41 PM
I went down the flank steak road. I bought a cryovac pack of them @ Sams. The quality was not what I expected. The meat was hard to work with compared to round. I buy round now, partially freeze and cut against the grain.

The flank was ok, but our family likes the round better. To each their own.

Interesting.  Did you cut the flank with, or against the grain?

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

josbocc

6rack,

You've got some great ideas from some of the best here.  My personal opinion is..., if you want ease and simplicity, go with the Jerky Cannon, (That's the device that looks like a caulking gun)  and use Hi-Mtn seasonings.  It doesn't get much easier than that, and I've had great results.  I have to admit that I love the "chewiness" of whole muscle meat that is thin sliced, marinated, then dried, but I've found that using ground meat and the "Cannon" is much less time-consuming, and still yields great results.

Hi-Mtn gives great instructions with their seasonings, and there is a multitude of flavors to choose from.  My personal favorites are Hickory, and Inferno Blend.  Give em a try if you get the chance.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Brisket Lover

Can you grind up any kind of meat to use in the gun?  Seems like it would be less time consuming that slicing but would it taste the same.

I'm wondering how brisket jerky would taste or would it by not much different after the seasoning?

josbocc

Brisket Lover,

You can use any type of ground meat..., however, your final fat content is critical.  I use 90% lean ground meat ONLY.  If you use anything less than 90%, you run the risk of a huge mess, and if using a bottom heated device (like the Bradley), you can also run the risk of a grease fire.

Many of my friends use ground venison.  I've tried it numerous times, but have found that it can be very easy to "overdry."  When I do venison now, I use half venison and half 90% ground beef.

Hi-mtn spices actually make jerky spices for turkey, and some other wild game.  My guess is that you can make your ground jerky out of just about anything, but your overall drying time, and particularly your fat content will be your biggest variables.

Good Luck,
Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Brisket Lover

Thanks Jeff, I'll start off with 90% ground beef and go from there.  Appreciate the tips.

josbocc

Glad I could finally provide some assistance here.  I'm usually the one asking for it.  Not sure if you have a Sam's Club near you, but that's where I get my 90% from.  Last case I bought was about $135 for 80 lbs.  I have been going through about 5 - 6 cases per year. 

Best of Luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Brisket Lover

Do you freeze it then thaw it?  Ill be close to a Sams next week so that is an idea.

josbocc

Since the Hi-Mtn spice mix packs that I use are for 15 lbs. of meat, what I do is cut each 10 lb. tube of meat in half.  I leave however much meat that I need for jerky out, and freeze the rest.  I use a bit of plastic wrap over the end of the cut tube, and seal with a rubber band.

If you've got a chest freezer, leave the tubes whole.  I've mixed meat, used my jerky shooter to fill my dehydrator, and then re-froze the leftover meat.  One of my last endeavours was a mix of that leftover meat which included Inferno Blend, Mesquite, Hickory, and Mandarin Teriyaki.  It made some awesome jerky.  Once it's got the cure into it, refreezing doesn't become an issue.
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

sodak

Shootin' the ground meat works well for me.