Under Pressure!! Beef Jerky Recipe???

Started by 6rack, December 09, 2008, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

Quote from: Doctor Woody on January 13, 2009, 01:20:03 PM
There are many ways to make jerky, but I settled in on what I believe to be one of the best ways.  The meat I use makes it kind of expensive, but well worth it.

Use a good quality Choice Flank Steak (cut WITH the grain about 1/3 inch thick).  You won't need jerky screens either.

Use whatever salty wet brine you want and brine it overnight.  I always use soy sauce in my brine.

Follow a typical smoking recipe and take the jerky out of the smoker when the meat still gives a little when you poke it with your finger.  Remember, it will firm up even more after it cools.  I keep mine in the refrigerator.

I've been using flank steak for a while now.  Funny thing...  I was watching Alton Brown (Food TV guy).  He was going over the different types of beef you could use to make jerky.  He picked flank steak as the very best type of meat to use.

Try it.  You won't be disappointed.

I gotta agree with FL here, For a true "tough" jerky I use flank steak and cut with the grain.  The rest of my family likes the round better.

FLBentRider

Once I sliced it a little thin, the fam called them "meat crackers"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brisket Lover

So my I have a dehydrator now.  I have some ground turkey and the nesco cure and spices that came with the dehydrator.  I was thinking an hour of smoke then into the dehydrator. From what I read 160 or so is good for ground beef, but how about turkey? 

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: brisket_lover on February 10, 2009, 05:49:59 PM
So my I have a dehydrator now.  I have some ground turkey and the nesco cure and spices that came with the dehydrator.  I was thinking an hour of smoke then into the dehydrator. From what I read 160 or so is good for ground beef, but how about turkey? 

Turkey will take the smoke faster than the beef. I did chicken jerky not long ago and 1 hour of smoke was plenty. You'll be fine.
After the smoke set your dehydrator to 150*, you can always bump it up, fowl dries quicker than beef because there is less fat. It will also be kinda brittle but not to worry  ;D

nepas

Brisket Lover

thanks Nepas,  can I use parchment paper since I dont have jerky screens?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: brisket_lover on February 10, 2009, 06:02:37 PM
thanks Nepas,  can I use parchment paper since I dont have jerky screens?

you have a nesco?

are the racks with the little slats, parchment wont let the bottom get done, air needs to completly circulate around the meat.

nepas

Brisket Lover

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: brisket_lover on February 10, 2009, 06:06:50 PM
Sorry I meant on the smoker.

Hmmmm i dont think i would use parchment because its turkey, you might be calling trouble. Do you have any sorts wired small cooling racks that might fit.

nepas

Brisket Lover

I'll look around and see what I can find. I was hoping it would work for ground meat.

I just downloaded the manual because the nesco didn't come with one and it says "When making jerky from pork, chicken or turkey, use precooked and processed meat."  Now doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?  How do you make jerky when it has already been cooked.  Maybe I'll just use beef instead.

NePaSmoKer

you'll prob be ok with GM using parchment.

nepas

Brisket Lover

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 10, 2009, 06:36:11 PM

nepas

As in ground beef though not ground turkey, pork, chicken right?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: brisket_lover on February 10, 2009, 07:47:06 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 10, 2009, 06:36:11 PM

nepas

As in ground beef though not ground turkey, pork, chicken right?

Correct.

With the beef you will be ok with the parchment, just check it every so often. Once the GM strips are getting firmer you can take the parchment out and the strips will set on the racks ok.

nepas

Brisket Lover

Thanks, that won't be hard, after an hour of smoke I will move it onto the Nesco.  Going to pick up some lean gb today hopefully and make some on Friday.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: brisket_lover on February 11, 2009, 05:59:09 AM
Thanks, that won't be hard, after an hour of smoke I will move it onto the Nesco.  Going to pick up some lean gb today hopefully and make some on Friday.

Great

Your on the right trail now. Take some pics if you can. I am going to do some venison jerky today.

nepas

Brisket Lover

So Ive got some ground beef going in the Nesco.  Getting close to the 4 hour mark and it looks to be close to done.  How do you know for sure when it is done?  I know it will come with experience but seeing how this is my first time I wanted a little advice.

When I take it out of the Nesco should I layer it in paper towels and leave it out, put it in the fridge, or just pack it up in a bag and throw it in the cabinet?