Turducken

Started by Father Tom, December 09, 2008, 02:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Tom

Has anyone smoked a "Turducken"  A deboned chicken inside a deboned duck inside a deboned turkey????
Got to do one this weekend.

Tom           ???

Habanero Smoker

There is a post started on that by FLBentRider. I have one in the freeze that I'm not going to get to until after New Years.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

If it were me, I would go with a cold smoke for a couple of hours and then finish in the oven.  I think it would be quite a load on the Bradley (depending on size) but still with that many layers of meat, I'd probably feel more comfortable finishing in the oven.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

When I get around to doing mine, I plan on hot smoking and apply 2:40 hours of smoke, then transfer to a preheated 350°F oven. Most Tur-Duc-Hens run around 15 pounds. According to the instructions, if you fully cook in a 350°F oven, it will take anywheres from 4.5 - 6 hours, and it says it will be closer to 6.

Here is the thread I had mentioned earlier.

Tur-Duc-Hen

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Father Tom

Thanks Habanero:

I have a newspaper article on two chefs here who do it for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  The onw recipe i am doing is Cajun style.  Shrimp Dressing in Chicken.  Andouille Sausage Dressing in Duck and Cornbread Dressing in Turkey.  All are boned first.  Then stacked with the dressing.  Will let you know how it comes out.

Thanks

Tom   ???

Habanero Smoker

Tom;
Thanks. I'm looking forward to your report.

I do it the easy way and buy Tony Chachere's Cajun style Tur-Duc-Hen. :) It's prepared the same way you are going to make yours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Father Tom

Yes Habanero i probably should have done the same.  We have a local chef who trained as a chef in Louislana and the Restaurant where he is executive chef sells up to a hundred.  He does a little diffent.   He uses turkey, duck and chicken breasts rather than the whole birds but uses cajun blackening seasoning and alls the different stuffings on each met.

I love to do these stupid things like standing in the kitchen for 3 or 4 hours deboning these birds.  At least the better half has said she would make the dressings.  Time will tell.  I did put on a dinner for 20 and one of the plates served was deboned BBQ quail.  Won't try that again.......

Thanks

Tom.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Father Tom on December 11, 2008, 02:45:24 PM
Yes Habanero i probably should have done the same.  We have a local chef who trained as a chef in Louislana and the Restaurant where he is executive chef sells up to a hundred.  He does a little different.   He uses turkey, duck and chicken breasts rather than the whole birds but uses cajun blackening seasoning and alls the different stuffings on each met.

I love to do these stupid things like standing in the kitchen for 3 or 4 hours deboning these birds.  At least the better half has said she would make the dressings.  Time will tell.  I did put on a dinner for 20 and one of the plates served was deboned BBQ quail.  Won't try that again.......

Thanks

Tom.

You stood there and deboned enough quail to feed 20 people!!!! And they say I aint wrapped real tight.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

Now...wait a minute 10.5...who would say that about ya???  :o  :D

Caneyscud

Quote from: Father Tom on December 11, 2008, 02:45:24 PM
I love to do these stupid things like standing in the kitchen for 3 or 4 hours deboning these birds.  .... I did put on a dinner for 20 and one of the plates served was deboned BBQ quail.  Won't try that again.......

I bow to greatness
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Father Tom

Thanks Caneyscud.  I won't comment on 10.5 comment.  I don't know if it was greatness or stupidties on my part but the $$$ was worth it.

Tom

Smoking Duck

There is a fine line between greatness and stupidity....most of the time, I obscure the line with my feet  ;D

Much more patience than I have, I'm afraid.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Father Tom

Yes Smoking duck.  I know the line but sometime just can't see it.  A Chairman of the Board of a large major company who has a summer 5,000 SF cabin near by, asked me to put on the dinner for the Board.  Food and Wine had to match.  It took about a month to put the thing together.  I had fun doing it but would never do it again.  I must add he paid very well...................

Tom ???

Caneyscud

As 10.5 some say, i ain't wrapped too tightly either (at least my wife says I'm not) - but that actually sounds like fun - stressful yes, but fun nonetheless.  I did a 7 course meal for my parents 50th anniv.  I'd do it again in a moment.   A few times a year, I feed about a 100 kids for 3 days for a church function - I look forward to it.  Lots of people think I not guite right! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"